Fighting to be me in a stereotypical world. | Teen Ink

Fighting to be me in a stereotypical world.

June 16, 2012
By Rheghmewriter BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
Rheghmewriter BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Writing is like a flower. The more words you add the more the flower grows, and then you add description which transfers into beauty and petals and leaves.


I’m different but that's not a ticket for you to deposit into gossip circles
I’m gifted but that is no reason I should be expected to measure up to a calculator.
I'm socially awkward but that is no reason why I should be forced to have friends
I'm unchallenged and that is not a reason why education should be a sealed gold mine while I go and relearn things.
I'm language arts oriented and that is not a reason why I should do everyone else's writing projects
I'm hard working and that is no reason why I should be grouped with slackers and those who whine about work.
I'm imaginative and that is no reason why I should be dismissed as inconsequential to a working group.
I'm an A type student and that is no reason why I should be convinced that a B is ok, and that I don't have to go all the way.
I'm serious and that is no reason to tell me to unwind and be like kids my age who seem to think partying is more important than studying.
I'm a classical music lover and that is no reason to count me out of social circles.
I’m a reader and that is no reason to call me lazy.
I’m honest and that is no reason to declare me a liar without a trial.
I’m physically challenged and that is no reason why I should be forced to do things I’m uncomfortable doing.
I’m religious and I rely on God but that is no reason to call me weak.
I’m a dreamer and that is no reason to call me unrealistic.
I’m a writer and that is no reason why I should be stuck writing prompts that a second grade teacher would give their students.
I’m an instrument player and that is no reason to call me a nerd.
I’m a person who as a phobia of flying projectiles and that is no reason to try to test me like I’m a carnival game.
I’m a girl and that is no reason to dismiss me as week and submissive.
I’m not a person who has friends for long and that is no reason why I should be coached on how to have friends.
I’m not big on being random but that is no reason I should be counted as boring. f
I’m my own advocate and that is no reason why I should be counted as a bothersome annoying person.
I have sympathy for people with mental disabilities and that is no reason why I should be called a retard because it is offensive to me and to others.
I like teachers and that is no reason to call me a teacher’s pet.
I find Astronomy, Marine life, and Chemistry interesting and that is no reason to declare me a nerd.
I am hard working but that is no reason to call me a robot.
I don’t let people tell me what I think or who I am and that is no reason I should be thought of as presumptuous.
I use big and complex words and that is no reason why I should be told not to because no one can understand me.
I wish I could live in the seventeen hundreds but that is no reason why I should be judged as ungrateful.
I love languages and that is not a reason languages should be kept a secret and that they shouldn’t be shared with people who want to learn them.
I learn things quickly and that is no reason why I should be capped and learn the same thing for two weeks when I get it in the first twenty minutes.
I am a workaholic and that is a reason why I shouldn’t be in class with kids who have to do their homework in class or have a three hour study hall when I could be learning something else.
I’m unique and that is a reason why the sky is not my limit, I have no limit. I am me, deal with it.


The author's comments:
I'm tired of being judged and declared things.