Quiet People

We are the quiet people. We live in the background; the shadows. People call us nobodies or losers. But what are we really? We sure aren’t speechless. We have voices. We want to be heard. We have the strongest voices ever! Give us a moment to argue about an important topic, and we’ll change your life for forever. We have opinions like no one else. How is that possible though? We observe. We pay attention to everything and everyone around us. While we are sitting there reading our seven-hundred page book, we listen. We know all the rumors and gossip. We know who is dating who, and about the fight. We just want to be heard for once though. Give us the chance.
We are quiet for a reason. Some of us are scared of being judged. Others are going through hell. Bullying, abuse, depression, just everything can cause our quietness. Some of us are just shy, but take a person in the corner with their jacket on even on the hottest day ever. They are probably harming themselves. Cutting is the issue. And a lot of people go through it. It can lead to suicide, which the people that love that person don’t want. But people never really know what’s going on if they keep it all bottled up. That’s the problem with today’s society. No one pays attention to any of the quiet people; the people in the shadows; the nobodies.
So why care about us? We don’t matter do we? But listen; we matter. We are the people with the strong voices. We want to be heard. Our opinions are stronger than anything. We can argue and win. It’s only because we listen. We observe people, things, voices, and everything else. We are really nosey people. We like to know things, every day of every year. It’s our way of communicating. But, if you all would give us a chance and let us talk, you’ll see the change in society. You’ll see that we are loud and outgoing. You’ll see our true selves.

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I am one as well. Yep, it's true. I sort of acknowleged this in my article, "the art of staring at the walls". Yes, I do know about that guy who's "totally mean to girls, but soo hot', and more. People don't seem to notice the fact that (gasp) I might even have an opinion too, perhaps on even more important things than what you chat about! Is such a thing possible?

Elisabeth A. replied...
I read your article, and I can't agree anymore with you. The only reason why we are quiet, is because nobody ever lets us speak out. It's automatically interupted by something more 'important.'

nikkigonefishin said...
I am one of the quiet people. I love how I related to what you said about us being nosey bc its true. We observe and we listen. We know who Chris is gng to ask out for prom. We know every time Michael gets a new gf. Thank you. We do matter, we may be quiet but we have a voice too that will be heard^-^

Elisabeth A. replied...
It's nice to see I'm not the only one. :)