Segregation between Animals | Teen Ink

Segregation between Animals

February 20, 2012
By ritusharma BRONZE, Irving, Texas
ritusharma BRONZE, Irving, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It’s Monday night and you’re tired from a long, tiring day of school. As you step inside your house, the aroma of chicken suddenly washes over you; your mom has made her special chicken today! You rush off to wash your hands and then head to the kitchen. After you greet your mom, you get yourself a serving of chicken. Now freeze! You’ve been eating chicken ever since you can remember, but do you know how that chicken comes to being on your plate? The food that you take such pleasure in eating could have been severely tortured and neglected at one point. Farm animal cruelty is harsh and unnecessary and we need to enforce laws to insure that they get the same treatment as domestic pets.




A lot of people keep pets such as dogs and cats. Pet owners care for their animals and treat them with love and respect. That is the biggest difference between farm animals and domestic pets; they have someone who cares for them. ASPCA.org mentioned in an article on farm animal abuse that we wouldn’t force our pets to live in filthy, cramped cages for their whole lives, and we shouldn’t force farm animals to endure such misery, either. All animals, including those raised for food, deserve protection from this abuse. Whilst farm animals are being tortured, domestic pets are having TV shows and salons dedicated to them. Farm animals are forced to live in tight conditions with no space to move around and then there are some domestic pets who are provided with their own rooms. The only difference between these animals is their physical features, otherwise they all breathe, eat, sleep, feel, and love. Farm animals are no different than domestic pets and they deserve to be treated the same too.


Whenever we hear about domesticated pets being abused by their owners, we rush into action to protect them. Animal abuse on domestic pets makes headlines but the abuse that goes on in the slaughter houses and farms is dismissed. More than 16 billion animals who are killed for food each year in the U.S. have little legal protection from cruelty that would be illegal if it were inflicted on companion dogs or cats, says PETA.org. When we need to put down an animal, we have to take it to the vet and they get a shot. Farm animals, however, get plunged into scalding water or have their beaks pulled off. These animals can’t fight back or even voice their pain so humans take advantage of that and torture and neglect these animals.


People don’t think twice about the meat they put into their mouths and eat. They’re against animal abuse for domestic pets but don’t even blink an eye when they hear about farm animals being treated cruelly. These animals deserve to have better lives and together we can help make this come true. Imagine that being your puppy in the slaughter house, getting prepped to become someone’s meal; wouldn’t you want laws that would help insure his safety and health till the moment he is killed?

The author's comments:
I am against animal abuse of any form; whether it's with domesticated pets or farm animals. I hope by reading this article, people see a different side of animal life on a farm.