Women's Rights | Teen Ink

Women's Rights

October 28, 2011
By Rudii BRONZE, Prague, Other
Rudii BRONZE, Prague, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I feel very lucky because of my parents and then my education, the opportunities that I've had, so I would like to continue working to improve lives for others.
- Hillary Clinton


Why do women wear make-up and perfume? Because they’re ugly and smell. How many feminists does it take to change a light bulb? None, because they never change anything! What is the difference between a battery and a woman? A battery has a positive side.

These jokes may have made you laugh but after all, they are sexist, evil, and shocking. Woman play a big role in this world whether it’s at home, at the workplace, in their communities, as mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, learners, workers, citizens or leaders. The importance of woman’s rights should not be underestimated.

Men are not dominant over women, and women are not dominant over men. We are equal, because after all, without women, you all wouldn’t be here right now. Although…sure God created man before woman, but then again you always make a rough draft before the final masterpiece, right?. To start off, let’s go over the differences between men and woman. According to the General Accountability Office (GAO), women make 80 cents for every dollar earned by the male in the U.S- that is three-fourths of the earning received by men. Shocking, but true.

As for jobs, roles of employment are inevitable. The men do the “hard” work, and the women do the “easy work”. Now, close your eyes, when I say the word “Secretary” what comes to your mind? A hot tall blonde, dressed in a short skirt and white collar shirt, wearing nerd glasses, red lipstick and carrying a black clipboard? That’s what I thought. Ladies and gentleman, what you have just done is gender bias. I’m sure all of have been to at least one public bathroom, is there anything you might have noticed on the doors? Well let me clarify, on the bathroom door for men, there is a male figure usually wearing a hat and pants, whereas on the bathroom door for women, there is a figure, usually with long hair, wearing a dress. Gentleman look around you, are any of the females in this room wearing a dress? If the answer is no, then why is it that we have these ridiculous, offensive, and sexist female stick figures on public bathroom doors? Of course gender equality has drastically changed compared to 50 years ago, but progress could still be made. Did you know that women have a 10 times greater likelihood of being victimized by sexual harassment than men? Is this, or is this not gender discrimination? Now, you might be thinking, “Hm, what could the world do to become more female friendly?” I say that we bring the idea of Matriarchies into the western world. A matriarchy is a society in which females dominate the political authority and lead a society. Why not have female guards protecting the school? Why is Mr. Bieber not Mrs. Bieber? Although woman’s rights are different in each country, it doesn’t make the woman less important. You might think that women’s rights is only an issue in third world countries, this however is not true. As you all probably know, in the Muslim culture men are allowed to marry 4 women. Have you all ever heard of a woman marrying 4 men? Well, this type of polygamy does exist. It is called polyandry. Polyandry is when a woman is married to more than two men, this form of marriage occurs in parts of Tibet, Nepal Nigeria, Bhutan, and India. I believe that, whatever men do, women should be allowed to do as well. Men are not superior to women. In fact it was scientifically proven that women grasp languages quicker and tend to communicate more effectively than men, so why is it that women are seen as the inferior? I say, celebrate international women’s day just as much as you would celebrate your countries Independence Day!

And remember, Hilary Clinton once said, “Woman’s rights are human rights”.


The author's comments:
Most people don't realize that gender discrimination occurs every day.