Pretty on the inside, too | Teen Ink

Pretty on the inside, too

By fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma
fortheloveofwriting GOLD, A Place, Oklahoma

"Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~Pablo Picasso

Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
1 Corinthians 13:4
A man's ways are his own, but the LORD weighs the heart.

You know how most people say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' or 'beauty is only skin deep'? It would be great if everyone believed this way, but it's just not that simple. Whether everyone else notices or not, some people just do get better treatment because of how they look. If they're society's version of pretty, then they're automatically accepted as being 'popular.'
And as for some of them, they are just as humble as can be and don't think of themselves as any better than anyone else. I am by no means saying this applies to everyone.
However, some people are used to getting what they want, how they want, and from who they want, just because they're 'pretty' or 'handsome'. While it's true that there are people others are more attracted to, or more attractive in general, it's this kind of viewing that gets people in so much trouble.
Does it matter if someone is a jerk to everyone else because they're 'cooler' and can get away with it? Rather, do we let people get away with certain things because they're 'cooler' than we are and we get chastised because we don't fall all over them, the way they may have become accustomed to?
I think a lot of the pressure on people is because if someone isn't a certain size or weight then they aren't perfect in society's view.
Well, you may not care about my opinion because I don't fit these standards exactly, but I would much rather befriend someone who has a good heart, cares about others, and bases their value on more than people who secretly trash talk them because they're jealous. Now, I'm just one person, but I don't always agree with society.
And when there are people out there starving or killing themselves because they don't 'fit in' I'd rather not. People need to be more accepting, and there's a place for everyone, size 0 or not.

Someone I attend school with said something along the lines of "You can do anything you want as long as you're pretty." It's people like this that use their looks to their advantage, even though looks are fleeting. Just think, ' would so many people like that person if something happened and their face drastically changed'? Then you may see what I mean and where I'm coming from

~Pablo Picasso

1 Corinthians 13:4

Thank You! :) 

Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
I so agree! You have an excellent point.