Intolerance is... | Teen Ink

Intolerance is...

By hlynnb28 BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
hlynnb28 BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

"It's easier not to say anything. Shut your trap, button your lip, can it. All that crap you hear on TV about communication and expressing feelings is a lie. Nobody really wants to hear what you have to say." -Laurie Halse Anderson (Speak)

It was not two years ago in which I was intolerant of homosexuality and homosexuals, but I came to realize that they're not so different from me after all. Yet, they are the ones who get violently discriminated, and ruthlessly attacked both verbally and physically.

“More power to those who are different” I remember being told this, but I don't quite agree with it. No one is different, not atheists to Christians, and not a straight man to a homosexual man. Christians wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, eat dinner, and go to bed. Atheists wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, eat dinner, and go to bed.

Straight men, and women all, fall in love, get in a relationship, get their hearts broken, find someone they want to spend their life with, get married, have children, and then eventually die. Homosexual men and women all, fall in love, get in a relationship, get their hearts broken, find someone they want to spend their life with, get married, have children, and then eventually die.

I once overheard the ignorance of a kid trying to look cool in front of his friends. I distinctly remember what he said, “Fags should all die.” With no hint of a joking overtone. What is worse is that when I move to defend the LGBT community, I'm told to be quiet, to stop talking about it, and I'm not given a chance to defend friends and family from the segregation bigotry that is the American teenagers understanding of the LGBT community. Admittedly I do get defensive; as I hope anyone would when hearing such slander about a topic so close to your heart.

When will the ignorance, the hatred, and the Intolerance, end?

When I write, I write about subjects that are bothering me the most. Lately, the discrimination of homosexuality has been heavy on my heart. I hope people realize that we're all human, who we love doesn't change who we are.

on Sep. 25 2011 at 4:21 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I use to be intolerate too until I become a questioning. Great article...