Teen Girl Discrimination | Teen Ink

Teen Girl Discrimination

By WritingStar19 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
WritingStar19 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

"Keep Your Mouth Shut When You Talk To Me"- auther unkown

Everyone has done it, lets be honest. At one time or another we have all looked at someone and had a thought about the way they looked, good or bad. Maybe it was "Her parents must have alot of money, she only wears designer." or maybe you thought was "Her outfit looks like it came straight out of a thrift store." or maybe you thought simply a "I love her shirt!" Whatever it was, we have all discriminated someone by the way they dress. Teens are the ones who do it the most, and are the most victims of it. Because of this, us teens spend countless hours every year that have been spent every morning before going to school deciding what is acceptable to wear, and whats not. Maybe it’s for a cute boy or girl you want to notice you, or maybe just to show that you have style, but most if not all dress to impress.

Now, girls are especially bad with this. In our teen years we are Catty and want all the notice to be on us. I remember in the beginning of the school year, I bought some knee high converse online. I wore them on the third day of school, and got stares and comments on them all day. Not all of them were bad, but this just proves my point that we all notice and discrimate other peoples clothing.

Now, in this economy, maybe some teens parents cant afford to buy the Uggs, one hundred dollar jeans, or those fifty dollar tops. So, they might have to wear their older siblings hand me downs, or clothes that might have come from a thrift store. And yes, people get judged for that too. But it isn’t their fault. When a girl gets talked about because she’s wearing her older sisters old top, not only are her feelings hurt, but I feel bad too.

I think at one point or another, we have all been on both sides of discrimination, I’ll admit to it. But I think if we all try to stop caring about what other people think, and starting thinking about how we like it, then maybe discriminating will start to decrease. I don’t think it will ever disapear, but if we all try, it can definitely decrease

I wrote this straight from the heart of what i think about girls degrading each other on what they wear

on Sep. 8 2011 at 6:09 pm
Got_Interest GOLD, Arnold, Maryland

"Box falls out of sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard, and look at you- you're just sitting there."
-Matt Smith as The Doctor

This is so TRUE. Girls judge other girls harsher than boys judge girls. Girl can get super mean and uppity to each other over nothing important. great article, keep writing!