Being Gay: Why are they hated? | Teen Ink

Being Gay: Why are they hated?

By swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

You have been this person's best friend for years. A decade, even. You're browsing 'Recent News' on facebook and the word 'gay' draws your attention so as if you are a bug being drawn to a light. Next to 'gay' is your best friend's name, and you begin reading his recent status update that has already been commented on by over ten people.

What exactly are you supposed to think as you read that your friend has officially 'come out of the closet'? "Why didn't he tell me?"
"How could this happen?"
"How will people treat him?"
Many questions zigzag in and out of your confused mind. As you read the comments in utter astonishment, you wonder how long he's been this way. People are saying things like "I knew you could do it!" and "I'm so proud of you!" Is it just me, or did society just change it's direction from 'You're on your way to hell' to 'You are a saint sent from Heaven for doing this.'

Following this status update were posts such as "My parents will probably send me to boarding school" and "God still loves me, right?"

Well does God still love him? Will his parents be accepting enough of this declaration of homosexuality?

Now-a-days, people are becoming more and more accepting of gays and lesbians. To me, this is a revolution serving the better of America, but is it also encouraging more and more people to become gay? To pretend they are so people will stop teasing them about it? To pretend they are so people will call them brave and for once be proud of something they've done?

My friend not only came out to the entire world through facebook, but he also made himself vulnerable to today's disapproving but sometimes accepting society. And for what? So people could call him courageous?

He may be brave, but also a bit stupid to think that everyone would be okay with the fact that he likes the same sex. Not in the least bit to generalize all Christians, but many are not accepting of gays or lesbians as they say that it is a direct sin and goes against God. However, the Bible does in fact contradict itself by saying that You may be forgiven for any sin, and also saying that you will go straight to Hell if you are a homosexual.

When does the discrimination stop? You will probably never find a society in which everyone will be in favor or against homosexuality.

But I guess we will never know.

swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Thank you! (:

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
very well writtn article! i loved it. :)

abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

I've had a situation excatly like this, and you explained it perfectly.

swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Thanks so much! ;D

abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

-Madeleine L'Engle

Wonderful article! I agree with you 100%.  Well written and very meaningful, keep up the good work! ;)