Don't Judge Me, Cause You Haven't Been There

Okay, lets start off with me saying, this is my opinion, and mine alone. I will respect yours if you respect mine. So here we go.

Being gay is NOT a choice. You do not wake up one day and decide “I‘m going to be gay.”. It just doesn’t work that way. I didn’t get a choice. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. And I can’t change that. I can’t change who I love, or who I am attracted to. Its not a choice.

Let me ask you this, did you choose to be straight? Did you decide one day that you liked the opposite sex? Or have you just always known? Most people say they have always known. If that is a good enough answer for a straight person, then why isn’t it enough for me?

Why am I judged for who I love? As long as its consensual and no one gets hurt, is love ever wrong? Can you honestly tell me that being happy is wrong?

Lets move on. The next point in my argument is the over used saying of “You don‘t understand.”. How ever over used or teenage sounding it is, it’s true. You can’t understand what its like to be gay, unless your gay. Straight people have no idea what we go through. They have never hated themselves for who they love. They have never lost family because who their attracted to. They have never watched friends walk away in disgust. They have never wanted to kill themselves because they couldn’t live with being hated and abused. They have never walked down the halls and felt the sting off pain caused by homophobic remarks. And all this because of who they love.

Bottom line, unless your gay, you haven’t been there. So don’t judge me, or anyone else, because you haven’t walked in our shoes.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Kregory_James_III said...
May 22 at 11:13 am:
People really dont understand whats its like to have to hide who you really are. I'm lucky to have a community who accepts me and respects me. I'm gay and I'm not ashamed. you have a very valid and respectful argument.