Ageism is Discrimination too | Teen Ink

Ageism is Discrimination too

A parent spanking a child. A teacher screaming at a teenager. An adult going through a teenagers items, looking for weapons or drugs without consent or a good reason.

All of these are examples of ageism, and furtherly, adultism. It's around us everyday. Children have to go to school, can't drive, can't vote, and furtherly, they have to get permission, or at least regulated, for everything.

Eating, Running, Talking, Sleeping. I'm a teenager, and I should have the same rights as an adult. Why treat me any different? If I can pass a driving test, why can't I drive? If I want to learn at my own pace, what's wrong with that? Why do you get to make the decisions?

I'm a person, I want freedom too, I want to learn when I want, I want to do what I want, I want to just be what I want.

Why do you think that my subculture is less than yours, that I know less than you, that I can't make mature decisions, that I couldn't learn on my own if I wanted to? What's so wrong with that?

If immaturity and laziness is a "problem" in youth, then why does it only seem to happen in developed countries, but in undeveloped countries where they don't have schools, the youth seem to grow up very adultlike?

And just because you've "been through it." Doesn't mean it's okay.

I'm tired of being treated differently than a adult.

This is also my first piece, so it might not be good.

Blobthe15 said...
on Sep. 25 2011 at 11:12 am
Blobthe15, Marion, Iowa
Well I believe that kids and teenagers are curious about right and wrong and knowledge and they would eventually make themselves smart.

on May. 19 2011 at 9:44 am
kelseycoldtoes, London, Other
I totally agree. I know adults who are less mature than myself and friends, yet have double the amount of rights I do.

Court711 said...
I think you are parcially right. Kids should have more rights and desion making but if we didnt have our parents to teach us right from wrong and disipline us we would all be dumb.