It's Not A Choice | Teen Ink

It's Not A Choice

By Austillini SILVER, Tehachapi, California
Austillini SILVER, Tehachapi, California

"The poor world is almost six thousand years old, and in all this time there was not any man died in his own person, videlicit in a love cause....Men have died from time to time, and worms have eaten them, but not for love." William Shakespeare

When you look at a cute person, a person who seems to have all the traits you want in a person to have a relationship, do you have to make yourself like him? Do you have to think, “Like him, like him, like him.” The answer: No. So why would that fact change for a person who is gay? Answer: It doesn’t. No person has to force his self to like or be attracted to another. It’s automatic. We don’t chose to be born straight, we just are. However, some people have it in their minds that gays choose to be that way.

This argument has caused international uproar. Gays aren’t allowed to be married in some places while straight people have this benefit. Why is this? Are people scared of gays? Are they intimidated? These questions will never be answered, simply because people themselves don’t know the answer. People discriminate against people who are different—it’s in our nature. People don’t see gays banning straights from being married because they don’t care, so why do straight people care or have power over gay people’s rights?

This is a question you have to ask yourself. Don’t accept some other person’s opinion. Make your own. Decide. This issue isn’t going away. I’ve made my stand. When are you?

I feel very strongly about Gay Rights. I believe gay people should have every opportunity as straight people.

Jayme said...
Thank you for posting this. It's nice to know that not everyone in the world is against us.