Tough Changes | Teen Ink

Tough Changes

By DrSuessandUnicorns SILVER, Dayton, Ohio
DrSuessandUnicorns SILVER, Dayton, Ohio

\"Today you are you and that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.\" --Dr. Seuss

I am a very smart Jewish girl. I take advanced classes and when I am put in a group to work in, kids cheer that they “got the smart girl”. I understand what brings them to this consensus, and I understand a lot. I understand why boys act the way they do, and why girls dress the way the do. I understand why mothers are so protective and I simply understand life. I comprehend most statements I hear and most situations that happen. One thing, though, always sticks with me that I cannot understand. I cannot fathom how wrongly Jewish students are treated in my school, and in schools around the country. Not just in school, but everywhere! I miss school and tournaments for high holidays, while there is two weeks taken off for Christmas. There have been sport games planned on Rosh Hashanah, and that would never happen for Easter or Christmas. When I was the captain of my sport’s team, I had to miss a tournament due to Yom Kippur, a very high holiday, and abandon my team. This is discrimination and persecution in its purest form. Not only in school does this happen, but it also happens in everyday life. I once visited a website that was for girls and accepted everyone as who they were. They were all for equality and not judging. This website would have articles and polls, and around high Christian holidays, that would be sprawled out on the web page. Never would I find anything about Purim or Hanukkah. Some may say I’m overreacting that I can’t partake in that specific poll for that day, but it uncovers a problem much deeper. This problem needs to be solved, and solved soon.

I’m standing up here not only for Jewish people, but also for every religious follower who feels persecuted. We need to learn more about other cultures, and especially their holidays. We need to take the first step to solving this problem of worldwide discrimination. I’m the kind of girl who makes things happen. When I want something, I get it. I want a change, and I want it now. Help me make that change.