Baby, We Were Born This Way | Teen Ink

Baby, We Were Born This Way

Discrimination- to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs; rather than according to actual merit. Homophobia is a part of discrimination. Homophobia is the hatred or fear of homosexuals. This hatred sometimes even leads to violence and expressions of such aggression. This has even gone so far as to people organizing hate group. These groups have used methods such as viciously attacking homosexuals, and using foul, violent language, just to intimidate them for being who they are. Homosexuals are people that just don’t have the same preference of sexual orientation, but they are, however, comfortable in their own skin, and I, just so happen to be one of them.
People discriminate against homosexuals everyday, and it happens everywhere. At work, schools, clubs, stores, and just about every other public place you can think of. Just because these people aren’t “straight,” does not give anybody a right to harass another person because of who they are. Hoosexuals are just like you- they are people too. Nothing is weird, or even wrong about the way they live. They can have jobs too; they even work for what they have in life. If anything, I consider homosexuals stronger than a “straight” person and I admire some of them because they had to deal with growing up.
Personally, I have witnessed homophobia in my life. I have been glared at, and gave nasty looks too. Sometimes, when I’m with my partner, we even get talked about. All those whispers and chuckles do not bother me, though. It is a part of who I am, and I’m not one bit sorry. Nobody can change who I am, and nobody will ever let me get down about my way of life. I am happy and that’s all that matters to me.
Homophobia needs to be addressed. Those of the GLBT community, doesn’t need to deal with this hatred and discrimination. All the violence and disgust directed against this community, just needs to stop. Some of these people, in fact commit suicide over the ides that they’re gay, and these hate groups put ideas into their heads. If we can raise awareness against the homophobia hate groups, and activity, we could actually save lives. Nobody can change who we are because; baby, we were born this way, and we’re going to hold our heads high!