"Born This Way," or "Brought Up This Way?"

By , roslyn, NY
In the world, today, homosexuality is a common thing to come across. It is far from “weird” for us to see. However, there are still people out there who are “homophobes.” This term translates to people to who have a fear of homosexuals. Sadly, these people are living in the past. One of the large debates linked to homosexuality is: are humans born homosexual or is it something that is picked up as one grows older?

Scientists are finding more and more evidence that homosexuality is indeed genetic. Scientists believe that a female or male could be born with more of the steroid hormones of the opposite sex; males would be born with more estrogen than testosterone and females would be born with more testosterone than estrogen. According to “A report of Odenwald and Zhang's findings, to be published in this weeks in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, adds to the mounting evidence that homosexuality has genetic origins…” Rightly debated by many scientists, there is some evidence that homosexuality is genetic even though it could be possible that as one grows older; it can be influenced by the persons surroundings
On the contrary, There have been arguments made in the past that insist that humans become homosexual based upon their childhood; either from neglect from their mother or father, or from sexual abuse at a young age. For a young boy, a father’s neglect or the absence of a father figure is thought to be a pushing point for boys to turn to their mother for their every move. In theory, the young man would become so close with his mother that he begins to get a taste for her feelings and would begin to pick up on them. As the boy and mother grow closer together, the boy would start to copy his mother’s feelings. This is the argument that features that homosexuality is caused by environmental reasons. Rick Nauert, a Senior News Editor at psychcentral.com, states, “Environmental factors are specific to an individual, and may include biological processes such as different hormone exposure in the womb.”

The idea that human sexuality is something that can be changed by ones environment is unreliable. Although a boy can be feminine because he spends the majority of his time with his mother, and a young girl follows the footsteps of her father, our sexuality is not something that we choose. As the famous Lady Gaga states in her song, Born This Way, “NO MATTER GAY, STRAIGHT, OR BI, LESBIAN, TRANSGENDERED LIFE, I'M ON THE RIGHT TRACK BABY, I WAS BORN TO SURVIVE.” As rightly stated by Lady Gaga, no matter what sexuality you are, you are going to survive.

katy said...
YOUR WELCOME!!!!!!!!A

lcs096 said...
May 17, 2011 at 11:30 am
thanks everyone!!!! glad to get some feedback!

BurgerKing said...
I believe you can be whatever you desire. Have it your way ;)

McDonald's said...
mm mm mm I'm lovin' it ;)

ChocolateMilk said...
soo goood!

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't remember what it was called, but I read a very interesting article on here that said science was proving that genetics has nothing to do with homosexuality.  I guess I'm a homophobe, and actually rather proud of it.  I think it's wrong, creepy, and it makes no sense!  Somebody said that they didn't understand why people - didn't understand gays.  Well, I don't understand why people think it's normal behavior.  I've tried to see people explain it, and it just soun... (more »)

EmoToboe replied...

Hm... I also read an article that made a very interesting point. If gay people actually made the choice to be gay...then why? Why would they choose their sex over the other if the found both of them equally attractive? Why would one choose to be persucuted by hundreds, maybe thousands of ignorant people who don't even consider taking a single step in the shoes of another.

Think of it this way...did you choose your sexuallity? I don't know about you, but it just kinda hit me. I didn't c... (more »)

peace_love_beauty replied...
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, HisPurePrincess. Why would someone choose a lifestyle that included being bullied and shunned by most of society? I don't belive homosexual people choose who they are attracted to.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yeah, why would they choose that?  I really don't know.  Let me say this in a different way.  I can't help being attracted to lying.  I want to lie all the time, and sometimes I do.  Does that mean I should do it?  No.  So just because you have a bad attraction to someone or something does not mean you can't choose the right direction.  Everyone has a choice, unless they're mentally handicapped or something.  Homosexuals choose to act on their attract... (more »)