With Hate Comes Love | Teen Ink

With Hate Comes Love

With hate comes love, and with love comes hate.
Racism is something we have everywhere in the world. It is a universal trait that mostly comes from ethnocentrism, the feeling that one country or culture is better than another. In America we have a lot of races, living in one big country, which means we have an interracial society. This causes a sense of one race feeling that they are better or more important than another.
In my opinion the two biggest fighting races in America are Caucasian and African American. I say this because “white people” used to own “black people” as slaves. Slavery is a violation of people’s rights, which has caused many tensions among these races. Among these tensions have aroused groups that attack physically and mentally on other races. Such groups like the KKK or Ku Klux Klan have been around since 1865 after the Civil War. Founded by a couple confederate veterans, what started out as a little social fraternity grew into a violent hate group. The Government stepped in with the Ku Klux Act in 1871, which authorized the president Ulysses Grant to use military force to suppress the group. This worked, however in 1882 the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional. By this time though the ideology and number of followers faded, which ended the original group of members. In 1915 another group formed but used the same name. The members wore white hoods and “advocated white supremacy,anti-Semitism, anti-Catholicism, racism, homophobia, anti-Communism and a virulent form of nativism.” The number of members faded towards the Great Depression and World War II because of the belief in Nazi ideology. Today there are less than 3,000 active members in this group. Although the number of people in this group has lessened, the hate from them is still the same.