Is Sexual Orientation Discrimination All Right? | Teen Ink

Is Sexual Orientation Discrimination All Right?

By Kate Lopez BRONZE, Northglenn, Colorado
Kate Lopez BRONZE, Northglenn, Colorado

The first thing you think when you hear the word discrimination, is racism against African Americans, Latinos, and so on. It is actually much more than that. Our nation is becoming more accepting towards different races everyday. Currently (in the year 2011) having an African American president is proof of this. Has racial discrimination completely gone away? No. However it is more justified than another discrimination which is commonly overlooked.

The discrimination I am talking about is called sexual orientation discrimination. Let me break this down for people who are unaware of the issue. Sexual orientation is whether you are straight, lesbian, bi-sexual, or gay. Discrimination is "treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit" as said by www.dictionary.com. In simpler words, it is people abusing another verbally or physical for something they don't have control over such as gender, religion, or sexual orientation. This is considered a hate crime to discriminate against someone for being LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, or Trans gender)

You do not have any control over your sexual orientation. Many people believe that is a choice, but it is not. Other's believe it is a mental disorder. In fact it wasn't until 1986 that homosexuality was taken off the list of disorders. Think of your sexual orientation as a preference. Perhaps one male likes girls with short hair. Maybe another one prefers girls with bright eyes. It is not something you control, but simply a preference you never actually choose. After all, I can't imagine someone waking up one day and deciding to only like girls with bright eyes. These people are naturally attracted to the same gender. It's not something they choose for themselves, but discovered about themselves.

In some places of the world, it is punishable by death. In other places it is legal for two people of the same gender to get married. The opinions vary, but no matter where you are there will be discrimination for LGBT people. For now though lets focus on the United States.

Did you know...
~LGBT students are 5 times more likely to not attend school due to harassment as the average student. 28% are forced to drop out of school because of it.
~Do you think there's always someone to help them? wrong. Two-thirds of guidance counselors harbor negative feelings toward gay and lesbian people.

~Due to discrimination lesbians earn 14% less income each year.
~42% of homeless youth are reported to be LGBT. Many teenagers are kicked out of their house to live on the streets for something they cannot control.
~Gay youth are 2 to 3 times more likely to commit suicide than any other young person during their youth.-US Department of Health and Human Services
~A couple of the same gender cannot share a bank account in most states of the U.S.

Many people believe that this is not an issue, but next time you call someone a "faggot" or "queer" think about what your really implying. We have come a far way from separate black and white drinking fountains and slavery. Have we really come that far when it comes to sexual orientation discrimination?

on Feb. 3 2011 at 10:26 am
Mockingbird1960, Covert, Michigan
I agree. When I think of discrimination I think of sexism and heterosexism, etc. not just racism. It makes me mad that people can be so ignorant.