Outside The Lines | Teen Ink

Outside The Lines

October 20, 2010
By JessicaLynn GOLD, Fenton, Missouri
JessicaLynn GOLD, Fenton, Missouri
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde


When we think of a typical school year; we think of the 8:11 morning bell ringing, the frantic hallways during a passing period, and even the lack of patience for school to end as we sit in a classroom. We tend to look back on the classes that were the toughest, the kids that were the loudest, and things we regret not doing because we were afraid of what people would think. But what if it’s more than that? What if we looked outside typical and into reality? We could see that the moments we remember the most are the tears in the heat of the moment on the football field, the nervous tension before a test, and the ecstatic cheers from a pep assembly. Those are the times we cry, cringe, and smile about. Those are the things we start to miss as each of us begin to unfold more chapters in our lives. It’s not about what we did, but how we did it. It’s not about who we were, but who we’re going to be. We need to realize that it’s okay to look outside of perfection. That it’s not always about the straight A’s or the undefeated seasons, but more about the unexpected friendships that are made and the knowledge we gain that molds us into who we will become. We’ll find that we need to accept the differences among us. We need to accept each other for who we are and where we come from. That even outside what we’re used to, our differences can bring us together. The diversity within us all can only make us closer. As we stand hand and hand, each with various colors, personalities and morals we can still unite as one. We then would find it’s easier to step outside our comfort zone. Even though we may look different on the outside, we’re all alike somehow on the inside. We all struggle with defeat, continue to learn, and strive to succeed. Our differences should only make us stronger and our connections deeper. We should lean on one another rather than step away. Because when we each graduate, and take one baby step forward into our future, we will want to know that we still have each other no matter what. We have this book of memories where every picture is a vivid image in our minds. We will learn that no matter what the outcome may be in life, we’re always going to be a team. We continue to stick together through challenges and defeats in order to keep moving forward. It’s what we must do to become the individual we plan to be and soar into the future. High school shouldn’t be something you just go through, it should be an important chapter you will carry with you for the rest of your life. We’re taught to always try our best and everything will be okay. So that’s what we do, together. And, as each school year goes on, we will find it’s even okay, to color outside the lines.

The author's comments:
I'm on the yearbook staff at my school and I wrote this for the opening of our yearbook. Our theme is Outside the Lines and it's about how diversity in our school should bring us closer together.