I am a man

By , Onsted, MI
I am a man. A gay man, but no less a man. I don't necessarily believe in god, but I do believe in the gods of fashion and music. I live fore the arts, culture, and passion. Someday I want the world to know who I am. I don't care what people will think of me. I don't want to know what people will think of me. As long as I am accepted I will be happy. I will not change who I am for a man and I certainly will not change for the world. If I change it is because I chose to. I changed because I wanted to. I find enjoyment out of being a man's man, but I know that class and sharp wit make a man a higher standard. Being a man isn't just hunting, being strong, or being as butch as possible. Being a man is about standing up for what you believe and letting others be proud of what they believe in without degrading them. Being a man is making your life mean something. Being a man is changing the world. Not to a masochistic, simple minded world, but to a world of acceptance and peace. I want to change the world. Not to a homosexual paradise of pop music and sailors, but to a world of acceptance, love, and compassion. Gay men are still individuals. I am still an individual. I don't want sympathy or pity. I simply want you to accept me for what I am. A human being, just like you are. I want the discrimination and judgement to end. I know this can't be achieved in the near future or even the distant future, due to the simple reason that people are like cows. They migrate to the places they know and would rather do the same thing for eterntity than change. What I am seeking is equality. All I am asking for is understanding and acceptance. A world of love. Free of hate. Free of barriers. There is a song that says "I am woman. Hear me roar." To that I say "I am man. Hear me sing."

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"The gods of fashion"? Would he be called Seventeen or Cosmo, by any chance? ;)

They-call-me-Twon replied...
Nov. 4, 2010 at 8:54 am :
Sadly no. They would be called Ferregamo, Donatella Versace, and Stefano Gabana and Domenico Dolce. Oh and of course The Lady of the Haus of GAGA. :]

Karma_Chameleon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a very nice piece, and one that definitely hit home for me.  Your last line is particularly powerful.  I would just suggest breaking it up into paragraphs for smoothness.  Overall, I really love this piece, great job! I promise one day we'll all be accepted for who we are. =)

They-call-me-Twon replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 9:44 am :
I was transferring it from my phone to the computer at about 1 am, so that explains the lack of paragraphs. Thank you very much!

Jayme said...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:44 am:

This is a very powerful piece. There's so much emotion and pride put into it. I love it.

I accept you for who you are, just like everyone else should accept all LGBT people. You and I included. :)

ineedthis28 said...
I accept you. :]

rightbehindyou61 said...
Beautifully written. Just one thing - the way you phrase the "being a man" part comes off as slightly sexist. I don't believe that was the intent, but just wanted to point it out. It is the same for women.  But the ending line really warmed my heart. :)

They-call-me-Twon replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 9:42 am :
Thank you! The end line would have to be my fave.      :]

NotYoursFroever said...
I liked your article, and completely agree, I'm bi, and people stare at me weirder since I came out. But you say that all you want is exceptance, and then you say that it wont happen for quite some time. I just don't understand, if you want something so bad, why say it wont ever happen. That doesn't seem very confident in yourself and weakens your article.

They-call-me-Twon replied...
Nov. 4, 2010 at 8:55 am :
That section was me being realistic because if you look around that is what's really going on. Yes we are becoming more and more accepted everyday, but people are still stuck in their ways and they always will be.

NotYoursFroever replied...
Nov. 4, 2010 at 6:25 pm :
Yes, I see that. But it's just. If the only thing you want id exceptance, why beat it down by saying it will never happen instead of trying to get more people to except it?

They-call-me-Twon replied...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 8:20 am :
I did not intend to beat it down but just state that this is what reality is.

NotYoursFroever replied...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 9:29 am :
well, okay then.