Jokesters | Teen Ink

Jokesters

October 15, 2010
By TeamJimbo BRONZE, Derry, New Hampshire
TeamJimbo BRONZE, Derry, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I really detest it when guys who think they are more enhanced than all of us, act or joke around. They jest around so much and I don’t comprehend why they don’t think their words have meaning. Even though what they speak might not have any effect on how they feel, it still has effect on the creature that is being mocked, or made fun of. How does the joker know how the scapegoat is feeling? Have they ever been in the position where the joke is on them? When I am getting made fun of it feels like it is belligerent and everyone is laughing so the whole world turns on that being that is being made fun of. Although words might seem harmless, when someone is making fun of another person they do not know how it really feels to be affected by a joke because they don’t know what it’s like to walk a day in their shoes.


A simple joke can be offensive to many people on different levels. When one thing can be funny to one person or a group of people that same thing can be spiteful and excruciating for the other person. For instance the soul being teased about could have sensitivity to the subject of the amusement. Human beings throughout their lives make dissimilar choices try different things and go down diverse paths. Sometimes ill-fated events take place that could scar a human being and hurt them in a serious but sometimes unserious way. If someone was to joke around about a certain point in somebody’s life that miffed them, then the results can be life fluctuating. In some situations the joke about something scarring in somebody’s past can be damaging and torturous all the same. The person being hurt can experience depression and other temperaments that can lead to worse things. For example not doing well in school can lead to a bad future, fewer friends can lead to loneliness, and not being successful can lead to darker places and events in our lives. Due to the sensitivity of human beings jokes can be harmful and sometime even fatal. Suicides can be linked to witticisms gone bad especially when a group of kids is in on the joke.

The reason that kids joke around so much is because of the attention that it brings to their social life. This same need for responsiveness is used to bring other kids down by joking about them in order to bring themselves skyward in the view of associated friends. Attention is more imperative in a child’s life when they are younger and are still maturing. Sometimes the kids who joke around don’t mature and go through life thinking everything is a joke and mostly don’t succeed. When the leader or main jokester is punitive on another kid sometimes females can resent that harshness displayed and dislike the jokester. The Jokester can be seen as immature by members of the opposite masculinity and be disliked by them. Girls can develop more empathy and likeness for the person being picked by their lowered self-regard. In any situation the drop in self-esteem can mean a rise in reputation and self-esteem for the jokester. Male children in general of all ages use jokes as a class system of popularity. The funniest person amongst a clutch of people usually ends up being the leader of the “pack”. This is a world that becomes increasingly more treacherous by every joke and prank pulled that might be taken the wrong way.


The effects of a group of people on a person being joked about or made fun of can just as authoritative in many circumstances. When an entire group of people is harassing and facetious about one person, that person can feel overwhelmed and lost. It’s cruel because one simple joke can lead to having no happiness and being ganged up on. Then something even more powerful when a whole group is joking about one person is when the joke goes bad or harmful. That person can be ignored and bullied by a group of people which can become fatal. A simple joke can turn into a school wide or town wide mocking of that person. This can be even more dangerous because of serious implications that can follow. Implications by a joke on Facebook can keep people from being employed, developing relationships and being ignored by many people. A simple playful joke, when a group of people start joking, can lead to unfortunate circumstances to a number of people. Circumstances that are not only social but federal can be dangerous.

Even though joking can be injurious amongst a group of kids and when it is focused on an individual occasionally a joke is good for the soul. Harmless jokes such as knock-knock jokes, riddles and typical humor can be fun and useful for lightening the mood. Playful jokes and a nice sense of humor can be what bring relationships between friends closer together. Having a good sense of humor and a good attitude can help raise confidence and self-esteem. People with a virtuous sense of humor don’t raise their confidence and self-esteem by lowering others’. Good natured humorous individuals make more friends by using harmless jokes with punch lines and not using degrading humor. When kids display a good sense of humor it can attract people of the opposite gender rather than possibly repelling them.

Even though jokesters and pranksters might not mean to hurt people, their simple jokes can be harmful or agonizing to a certain individual. Even when an entire group of people is laughing because of a joke about someone, it still does not make it right to gang up on one person. A single joke taken the wrong way can have a negative influence on someone and bad results can follow. A single harmless joke carried by a group of people directed towards one person can be equally as dangerous because of the loss of self-esteem. The need for attention by the jokester can drive away the contrary gender and leave them with the view of an immature individual. If there were fewer people trying to make life one big joke and putting other people down the world might be a better and safer place. Maybe if more people had a harmless natural sense of humor, relationships would last longer and be less prone to undesirable endings.


The author's comments:
Being picked on is not fun for anybody. I witness a lot of joking and sometimes it is harmful