"Emo"

America judges too quickly. We take one look at someone and assume we immediately know their life story. It's amazing how judgemental we've become. It's even worse in highschool. As teenagers, we assume we know everything about everyone by simply the clothes they wear and the friends they have. America needs to look deeper than the surface. For example, I dress, the stereotypical "Emo". Wear alot of black long-sleeves and always have my hair in my eyes. But, if you really knew me, you'd know I bounce off the walls with my friends and love to smile(: Today I talked to a guy who I usually wouldn't talk to. He would be labeled as a sort of "nerd." After only talking to him for only thirty minutes, I learned that he has two brothers and a sister who all graduated from Harvard University. His family has great expectations from him, but he dosen't think he can fulfil them. I assured him that he's the smartest kid I know, and that's a fact. After about a week of texting him and such, I learned much more about him than I was expecting. To think, people who just avoid the unknown for a simple thing, such as their stereotype, are missing out on new friendships. I challenge you to go out and talk to someone you don't usually talk to, and start a new bond(:

Nancy18 said...
I agree. We do judge on just appearences. I have friends who dress "emo" like. So just because I hang out with them, does that mean I'm one of them too. No not at all. Everyone has a different taste in style, but that doesn't mean you won't find anything in common with them just because of the way they look/ dress.

TheMusicalFaery said...
I agree. Don't judge a book by its cover! That's a saying that's been quoted so many times that it's nearly lost all of its potentcy, but it's absolutely true.

kao-chanu said...
This is good. i feel people are stereotyped or stereotype to much. good job.

Lifetime said...
Emo is a music genera, if Scioety really wants to put something as free as music in lines as wella as people....  

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 10, 2010 at 2:31 am
I agree! People should look past appearances and get to know people before judging them.