Scholarship Discrimination

Have you ever looked at scholarship contests and saw ones that were entirely for African Americans or Hispanics? Have you ever realized that people that aren't white have better chance of receiving a scholarship? I have, and I think it is incredibly unfair, since scholarships are supposed to be based on grades and talent and nothing else.
In school, we are taught at a young age about discrimination and slavery and how wrong it is. They say we are taught this so we wont repeat it. By giving Africans a better chance of getting a scholarship, that is discriminating white people against black people.
People are always saying, "We are all one race," or, "We should all be treated equally." If that was true, then the scholarship contests would be open to everyone, not just people of a certain race. If we are supposed to be treated equally, then why are chances for getting getting scholarships not equal to all races?
Getting a scholarship isn't about being black or white or Hispanic. It's about maintaining good grades and being talented. Why is it that people of different races can be equally talented but have different chances at scholarships? Now that is discrimination.
People say, this is an equal country, but it's not. Not yet. Not until a lot of changes happen. Why did everyone make such a big deal of Obama being black? If we were all one race, it wouldn't matter what color he was!
If there were scholarships that say, "Caucasian Only," then there would be tons of protests. How come it's okay for there to be "African Americans Only," but not, "Caucasian Only?"
All I'm trying to say is, it's totally unfair that a scholarship can only be handed to a certain race. It should be open to everyone and be based on their talents, not their race.

tanasiatlc said...
yesterday at 8:33 pm
I think a white American should apply for a minority scholarship and when they are turned down because of their race, then they should sue for racial discrimination then maybe people will start to quit all of this race vs race and we can get back on track to all being equal American citizens...

walkingXonXclouds said...
I agree with you 100%.  Racism is still a growin problem among all races.  Scholerships shouldn't discriminate with a person's race.

Just Taz said...

That makes perfect sense. If there was ANYTHING that said Caucasian only the entire organization would probably be called racist. Most organizations have the mentality that providing better opportunities for minorities will make us all equal. 30-40 years ago that may have been true but now there are rich African American families just as there are poor Caucasian families. If they really want to help the would should have things for low-income families or something like that.

I'm biraci... (more »)

soccerchick333 replied...
Aug. 8, 2010 at 9:24 am
Thank you so much for commenting, and I really enjoyed reading your opinion, and I'm glad someone agrees with me!! (: