Know Me First

By , Washington, PA
So you know what stereotyping is. Many of you have been, will be or do it. Schools set up those workshops and lectures about it and you’ve been told a million different times not to make fun of people for who they are. Well what about those kids who can’t change who they are? Being stereo-typed for what you choose to do or be is one horrible thing but what about what you can’t choose or change.

“Hey look that girl in designer jeans over there, she lives on the top of a hill in like a mansion. I hear she’s getting a Cadillac for her b-day….
What a snob….”

No stop right there. Do you really know this girl other than what you’ve seen in movies? Mean Girls, Bring it on , even High School Musical!
This is stereotyping. Making conclusions on an assumption. Expecting something based just on a first glance.
Ever think maybe she is a nice person? Works for her money? For her Grades? Volunteers at the City mission? Is NOT interested in bullying, making drama or happening to ruin everyone lives by making hers better?
Because money does not make people who they are by fault.
My parents are wealthy. Not me. Not saying they are snobs either. I am very fortunate, I appreciate everything I have. Because of what I have people like to make fun, but I cannot change our financial state.
I have learned not to tell anyone anything about my life or to bring anyone home before I got to know them, because then they assume I’m a brat or worse try to take advantage of me for my money. How many times have I had people say
“Wow you’re rich and you’re actually nice.”
I know this might be a compliment but it’s bittersweet. I think of some of the kids out there who get talked about behind their back because they let something slip about their house or money, before anyone could get to know them.
I know you might be thinking this girl is so amazing fortunate and she gets mad when people tease her for it. But that’s not it. I don’t care if you call me a snob or brat or spoiled rotten, but get to know me first.

Hyperthorn said...
stereotyping sucks, you usually see the poor or overweight kids getting stereotyped. I'm overweight and a lot of people avoid me for it and don't get to know me. People need to know you and realize your're not like everyone else

Unwritten replied...
Exactly lol especially when there isn't an "everyone else" once you get to know these people you'll realize not many live up to that stereotype.

Jessyka8985 said...
i agree sterotyping sucks i'm not rich but any of my home life stays at home because i dont have as much money as most. I hope people stop sterotypeing you! : )

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 2:18 am
I'm generally very reserved and not many people know the real me, and even if I give them the chance to get to know me, they never take it.

bennyB said...
we should just learn to get along everybody regardless because god loves all of us and jesus told us to love eachother