Know Me First | Teen Ink

Know Me First

July 13, 2010
By Anonymous

So you know what stereotyping is. Many of you have been, will be or do it. Schools set up those workshops and lectures about it and you’ve been told a million different times not to make fun of people for who they are. Well what about those kids who can’t change who they are? Being stereo-typed for what you choose to do or be is one horrible thing but what about what you can’t choose or change.

“Hey look that girl in designer jeans over there, she lives on the top of a hill in like a mansion. I hear she’s getting a Cadillac for her b-day….
What a snob….”

No stop right there. Do you really know this girl other than what you’ve seen in movies? Mean Girls, Bring it on , even High School Musical!
This is stereotyping. Making conclusions on an assumption. Expecting something based just on a first glance.
Ever think maybe she is a nice person? Works for her money? For her Grades? Volunteers at the City mission? Is NOT interested in bullying, making drama or happening to ruin everyone lives by making hers better?
Because money does not make people who they are by fault.
My parents are wealthy. Not me. Not saying they are snobs either. I am very fortunate, I appreciate everything I have. Because of what I have people like to make fun, but I cannot change our financial state.
I have learned not to tell anyone anything about my life or to bring anyone home before I got to know them, because then they assume I’m a brat or worse try to take advantage of me for my money. How many times have I had people say
“Wow you’re rich and you’re actually nice.”
I know this might be a compliment but it’s bittersweet. I think of some of the kids out there who get talked about behind their back because they let something slip about their house or money, before anyone could get to know them.
I know you might be thinking this girl is so amazing fortunate and she gets mad when people tease her for it. But that’s not it. I don’t care if you call me a snob or brat or spoiled rotten, but get to know me first.


The author's comments:
I know this isn't a signifigant issue in our world today, but I'd like people to see it.