So when did YOU choose?

Whenever a person tells me smugly how gay people CHOOSE to be gay, I've always wanted to ask them, all casual-like, "So, when did YOU choose?"

The person will give me a side-eye of course, because it's a weird question. They'll ask what I'm talking about, probably looking annoyed that I interupted their stream of self-righteous homophobic chatter. And I'll shrug. Maybe smile a bit.

"When did you you choose to be straight?" I'll say, still casual.

Because that's what you're implying, homophobes. You're implying that ALL sexuality is a choice - not just homosexuality. So if that's the case - when did you choose to be straight? I'd love to know. And hey, do you think you'll choose to be gay tomorrow? Or maybe bisexual is more your thing these days.

The thing is, I don't believe that any person in their sane mind would choose a lifestyle that is so filled with discrimination and bigotry. Of course they didn't choose to be gay or bisexual or anything else they are. It's like racists saying, "They CHOSE to be black or Mexican or Indian." It's ridiculous.

Look, you can think it's wrong if you want. You can even say God hates it - we'll see who's right when (or if) you're in front of Him. But don't come up to me and tell me that it's a choice. It's not a choice - sexuality is what we're born with.

Threefiddy said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 1:06 am
I chose to be 6'2. Same thing, right?

Jessyka8985 said...
i totally agree today i posted an article similar to this one when it comes out i'd love for u to read it it might take a while but i think u'll like it.

Bethani said...
The media and your upbringing are factors too

Bethani said...
The media, your upbringing, and if you were born gay, straight, bi, or trans-gender are all factors of being your sexuality. 

Bethani said...
Factors of being gay include how you were raised, not just if you were born gay or bi or straight. And the media plays a role too. 

Jayme said...

I love it! It speaks so much truth.

I mean who really gets to choose their sexuality? Because if I had the choice, I'm not real sure I would have chosen a to be discriminated against.

It is in no way a choice. I didn't wake up one day and say "I'm going to be bisexual today."

It's just not the way things work.

I applaud you for trying to get that message out there.

InkDance said...
I like this article because it's completely true. I'm straight, and can't ever recall choosing to be straight.