A Plain Fist | Teen Ink

A Plain Fist

Gestures around the world have different meanings. From a hand to a point of the finger. Something so simple could mean something drastically different. Then again somethings are universal. For example a smile, a wave, or even a plain fist held in the air. Without words the world is a big place, it has 7 different contenints populated by over 6 billion people who are spread apart by miles and miles of oceans. But somehow, like gestures, certain problems and ideas are universal.

Ideas such as anti-semitism or racism can be pieced together like identical geological rock that lead to the belief to form the ancient massive contenint of Pangea, only in this case, these pieces to form the idea of superiority; to form the idea of segergation; to form the idea of discrimmination. No. These pieces to form the single idea of hatred.
Somehow like this idea, we’ve found a will, a power to defeat and stand above these acts of hatred. When I say “we’ve” I don’t just speak for the blacks or one specific race. I speak for all of man kind that has been sepressed. We’ve lived in a world too long to have animosity for a minority or specific group of people. We are human. We are mankind. Most of all we are only one world, made together and held together by these different groups of people.

The quote, “The fist is like a symbol for black” is inaccurate. A fist is a symbol of a fight for change, for opportunity, or for equality. It is not only blacks who were hurt, it was not only blacks who had to fight, most of all it was not only blacks who had prospered. Therefore should not only be a black gesture but a gesture of power and success.

Who is to say what makes a fist? I’ll tell you; The burnt pointer finger of a jew who suffered in a consentration camp. The half amputated middle finger of a German to prove there non-association with Nazi groups. The scarred ring finger of a negro man from where a thorn had pricked him while picking cotton. And finally the partial sivered pinkey finger of a child laborer who worked in the mill. All balled into one and held together by a thumb.

Its about racism which we fail to acknowledge