Discrimination of Homeschoolers

I happen to be a homeschooler and whenever I tell people so, they give me “the look”. “The look” says, “Oh, we’ll there’s no way you’re going to college,” or “Wow, you’re parents are so stuck up that they don’t even respect public/private schools!” and I just hate it. Not only does it hurt, but it shows the way humans act. We are always comparing things to ourselves: if a person is a girl, you’re comparing their gender with yours, if a person has blonde hair, you’re comparing their hair color with yours, etc. Some people, not all, just think down upon people that do not compare exactly with them. Those people happen to be the greater population of where I live in. Even though there is a lot of homeschoolers in my area, we all get treated the same. People just suspect that we were terrible delinquents in school or had terrible grades and our parents wanted us to actually pass school so they took us out. Even some of our closest friends have become distant with us ever since we started homeschooling.

I’ve met some amazing homeschoolers in my year of homeschooling who plan to go to college and become some amazing person. They’re all very nice and, yes, some do follow the stereotype of being farmers and such, but I think that’s cool! I’ve gotten to go to some ranches and work with horses (even see a foaling!) and that’s pretty cool for a city gal like me. One of the other down parts of these homeschoolers is that they think down upon the public/private school children. They are always saying that they don’t dress as nice as we homeschoolers do, or won’t excel to getting their PhD’s. It makes me want to shout to everybody in the world, “For crying out loud, we may not do the same education system, but we’re still people who all deserve respect and should respect everybody else!”

oddballinthegroup said...
i agree my best friend used to be homeschooled and when she was we hung out all time after i finished my day at my old middlschool but when she went to public school she forgot all about me and made new friends i liked it better when she was home schooled because then we were firends

Thinker said...
There are a TON of books saying how home schoolers are actuly MORE likely to go to a top College. Read Unschoolers, personally I'm jellous.

S_armadillo replied...
Yeah, I've read that, but most people I talk to just react like it'll never work. Thanks for commenting. :)

prettygirl19 replied...
Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:40 am
I agree that people should just stop judging others based on their differences. I have gotten the 'looks' many times, even from close relatives about me being homeschooled. You know it weird, when your own grandmother makes fun of you.

S_armadillo replied...
I know! That's exactly the point I was trying to put across. Thanks for commenting!