Small Waist vs. Thick Legs

Small waist. Size 3. Perfect hair. Flawless skin. The ideal pin-up girl for America. The role model we allow girls to have.

Now picture this.

Large stomach. Size 24. Plain hair. Acne. The ugly girl perhaps? This is what you’ll look like Sally, if you don’t eat your veggies.

The big girl, the fat girl, the one that’s assumed could eat a whole pizza. All are hurtful in some way, but why? What really is the difference between an over weight teen and an anorexic one? Both are unhealthy, yet one is more, rewarded?, than the other. Stores like American Eagle, Aeropostal, and Hollister will happily sell you a size XXS in stores. But what about an XXL? Those aren’t made available except for online. Fair much? I don’t think so.

Some say it encourages teens to stay overweight, but obviously they aren’t looking at the problem. Sure, they might stay that size if they become bigger, but if they can’t fit into anything made, how will this affect them? They’ll see themselves as ugly and uncool because they can’t wear the stylish and trendy stuff other girls there age are wearing. Most will take up to eating because they feel depressed and this will then led to depression for some. Making things better? Now look at the other scenario. Clothing companies start producing bigger clothing for these plus size girls that are trendy and stylish, plus, it fits. These girls start to see themselves as beautiful and there confidence gets a boost. This confidence boost then leads to a happier life style for them.

America in general has the most obese people in the world, yet we have hardly anything to fit them. It’s not so much like that for the guys because they sell Men Clothing bigger in the stores, but the Woman’s Clothing is either way to small or sticks to you like glue. More and more girls are seeing them selves as ugly and fat and we’re allowing it! We don’t show that they’re just as beautiful as the Size 3 girl. Media has portrayed the thicker girl as something bad, something to stay away from. But does she really deserve to be treated like that? Should she not be able to dress nice just because of her size?

Golfish said...
this is good. Just make sure society doesnt keep dismissing naturally small girls as anorexics

Aspiringauhor said...
I agree. The one line I don't agree with... "The big girl, the fat girl, the one that's assumed could eat a whole pizza..." I'm a size 0 and I could eat a whole pizza! Haha, but in all honesty, really well written piece.

Montserrat.Alvarenga said...
How perfectly ironic; as I was reading this article, and the comments, an ad for sonobello laser assisted lipo offers popped up. Above it was a picture of skiny girl showing off her midsection because that is what most people believe is attractive. In the ad they went as far as to say that the extra pounds someone may have are saddlebags. We are not horses we do not carry around saddlebags on our bodies. Yes it might be healthier to eat right and work out but to take it from having a healthy lif... (more »)

Jenna123454329 said...
Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:53 am
I'll be honest here- I have pretty big legs, and yeah i'm insecure about it. But let's say Hollister, their clothes fit me, but I'm bigger then most girls. My waist is normal, and my stomach is too. It's just chest and thighs. The only reason everything it leveling out is because I work my butt off in sports...if I could do it, I honestly think that anyone can. I have a lot of meat on my bones..but I think I look pretty normal..

antoniutc said...
America is the most screwed-up country in the response of weight. If a girl has 5 extra pounds, she's considered fat, not well-fed, not built, just fat. Look at every where else in the world; in an agricultural society a woman weighing under 110 pounds is useless, shameful to her family, whereas a man looking for a wife would peer down at the feet of each woman and choose a wife based on a decent sized and strong ankles. That's right, Paris Hilton would be a widow in places like Crimea. In Afric... (more »)

gaga-fan28 said...
Being extra-skinny and obese are not as opposite as you'd think. Both are actually frowned upon in general: for ever tabloid photograph of an overweight celebrity with a headline mocking her extra pounds, there's one of a skinny celebrity with the label "Anorexic" or "Bulimic". Often times it's hard to find a supersmall size, just as hard as it is to find an XXL. You say that way too many girls aer seeing themselves as ugly or fat, but so many more are seeing themselves as beautiful because of c... (more »)

riter_wanab said...
May 12, 2010 at 11:47 am
I'm so proud of you for writing carolz! It is so true and it is time people start seeing this fact.

EmoToboe said...

Why does the media portray those little anorexic girls as the role model.

I'm friends with someone who, if you see her you'd think she was anorexic, but she wasn't,, and I felt nervous about hugging her or roughing her up a bit for the fear of snapping her in half.

I couldn't live with someone like that as a wife, I'm a playful person and I wouldn't want to seriously hurt her

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
love it love it love it! So well written!! Topic is a bit overused though.