Can We Look But Not See? | Teen Ink

Can We Look But Not See?

By Hannabelle GOLD, New Tripoli, Pennsylvania
Hannabelle GOLD, New Tripoli, Pennsylvania

"People are like slinky. They don't do much, but they are fun to push down the stairs" -Unknown

Can we see love? Can we see hope? Can we see faith, or time, or age? Not truly, not really… we as humans in this messed up society are naturally forbidden to see anything that is unreal or fantastic. We are forced into this bottomless pit of familiarity and similarity, never to emerge from it, not with time, or with age, not with faith, or hope, or love. Many people are shunned by society because they wear different clothes, or are a different race, or speak in a different accent or tongue. But the truth of the matter is -- and always will be -- that we are all the same, we are brothers and sisters in a way that we are all humans, part of the same family. We can look without seeing, and so many of us do. So, can you see? Or… are you blind?

This peice was originally a science homework assignment, simply thrown under the bus by my peers. It was given to us in the hope that we would talk about microscopes(which was the topic we were discussing). But since there were no specific guidlines saying that we had to stay on that topic,I went ahead and wrote something else. Hope you like it!

Patience97 PLATINUM, New Tripoli, Pennsylvania

"People believe that if we really want to eliminate something, focus on that. How much sense does it make for us to give the particular problem all of the energy, as opposed to focusing on trust, love, living in abundance, education, or peace? -Un.

Yes Taco, I think she also has a talent for writing. Belle, check out the PSU summer writing camp. I went there once -- very fun. Got to interview people who have spent 2 years in China and write other pieces as well. Taco, I actually put something on here -- but it's not very good. You're right, You know who I am! But then again, how many other people would actually choose this name? Suprised at the name Taco 29, I was thinking it'd be something like Luv2SellLemonade14. Haha :)

Taco29 said...
I still love this piece.  Hannah, you definitely have a gift and talent for writing.  I have read all that you have posted so far! Keep them coming! Patience, you are also very insightful (plus, I think I know who you are... initials LH :-). I also think you should also post on here! 

on May. 4 2010 at 5:43 am

I can remember the first time that Miss B read this to the class... It made me cry. It inspired me, and as I got home I re-wrote my paragraph. My final paragraph turned out to be about how we can only see the effects, or the aftermath, of God's grace and our love.

Aside from the feeling of strength that this piece gives you, my favorite part is what you did. You took a simple class assignment and you made sometime... beautiful, out of it.