Mexican Contributions of the Past | Teen Ink

Mexican Contributions of the Past

April 1, 2010
By pfeferminz SILVER, Sebastopol, California
pfeferminz SILVER, Sebastopol, California
9 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everyone has the right to be stupid but some people abuse the privilege......


Mexico’s contributions to our culture and way of living were many and immensely important for our future. They shared so much with us that we still remember and use to this day like farming, for example, not only the knowledge of irrigation and food but also that of cattle raising and the art of being a cowboy! One must not forget their gift of entertainment either. With their fun rhythmic dances and soulful singing they shaped our entire entertainment we have today. And last but not least their Architecture, which created not only both smart and clever housing but also pretty and relaxed, not to mention cheap. So many Americans aren’t even aware of these generous contributions and go on thinking that America was made by their American ancestors. These people should take their eyes off their TVs and pay attention to those little things that we are so grateful were brought to us by the Mexicans. Their contributions made America the wonder it is today.

As stated farming was an essential contribution from the Mexicans. Before them, there weren’t even any cattle in America. The Mexicans were the ones to bring them to us and do we thank them? No, instead we make it illegal for them to even live among us. Then we boast to the world about our cowboys and how genuine they are, while, in fact, they are but cheap knock offs of the real cowboys or Vaqueros from Mexico. Our “cowboys” adopted the Mexican Vaqueros, techniques on horseback, their stylish clothing, and their way of speaking. Everything we know and love about cowboys is from the Mexicans. Even after that they never stopped giving. They also shared with us their irrigation techniques which were essential due to the fact that much of America’s farm land could get very hot and dry. And with their guide we created the best foods the world has to offer. Together we combined old world foods, from Europe, and new world foods, like chocolate and corn from Mexico, to create the ultimate dishes like Chili and Barbeque.

Their contributions did not end there though. Then, the entertainment, which introduced the world to the Jota, Fandango, and the La Bamba, really getting the party started. Not only did they create dances that 99% of America knows, they also shared with us Corrido which we now call Country songs. Their soulful music full of Love, Betrayal, Heroes, and bandits could make even the happiest person cry. One must not forget the fact that the Mexicans also graced our culture with the fun of rodeos and all the dangerous but funny ties that come with them like bull riding and cattle roping. Just to think, without them our bulls might not hate the color red so much and they might even be nice.

Like formally stated the Architecture that Mexico brought to America was not at all the least important. Without their clever thinking we would never have obtained the luxury of patios and parches. The Mexicans brought houses that had thick walls to keep the warm in during winter and the warm out during the summer too. Their houses had like built in air conditioners and heaters. At least we let them help us because by the 1930s there were over 1 million Spanish-styled homes built in California. I guess it took that long for us to realize that we aren’t the kings of the world and we aren’t smartest either. We are just a small speck in the universe just like all the other small specks and the world is a much prettier dot when all the specks get along.

Although many people have yet to show any appreciation towards the Mexicans there is still hope. Just to think, without them, with their great food, killer dances and cleverness towards all housing, we wouldn’t be the country we are today. I mean just to think about it, a country without Chili, isn’t a country at all. Nor is one without the La Bamba. So once again the Mexicans were an essential puzzle piece of America’s growth into what it is today and like every kid can’t figure out, when you’re missing a puzzle piece you can’t finish the puzzle. Luckily our Puzzle isn’t missing any puzzle pieces, so far.


The author's comments:
"I wrote this for my History class. My teacher said i was to mean...."