Discrimination Is the Issue This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I'm not a psychologist or scientist or politician. I'm not even an adult. I'm just a student. I'm sixteen. I'm human. 

I won't tell you if same sex marriage is right or wrong. I can't decide that. That's for a higher power to decide. Which higher power you believe in doesn't matter. 

It doesn't matter if you believe it's wrong or not. If you do, then that's your oppinion and we're all entitled to an oppinion. However, no matter what you believe, I think we all know discrimination is wrong. If you have the right to decide if something is right or wrong, then I believe you also have the right to decide to keep it to yourself. If you have the ability to say same sex marriage is wrong, you have the ability to say "I will not discriminate because that is wrong." We were taught from the very beginning it is wrong to tease, and,  correct me if I'm wrong, but that applies to everyone -- sinners and all. 

I can't tell you if homosexuals were born that way or if they chose it at some point in their life. I can't tell you about their chemical makeup or whatever it is that decides this. What I can tell you is I would not want to be put down for who I was, and neither would you, whether I was born that way or chose to be that way. I can tell you that when you are teased you are hurt by it. We all know this. Some of us need to be reminded. 

I'm not going to tell you about the constitution or laws. I am going to tell you something we all know, something that has been said before. This is America. We are free. Our forefathers fought for us to have freedom. I believe that means for all Americans. It means you have the freedom to have your oppinion on the matter, and they have the freedom to be who they are and -- maybe one day -- live in peace. 

I won't tell you whether I believe it's right or wrong. That's not the issue. I will tell you that the discrimination is wrong. That's the issue. I'm no professional, but I am human. I can decide what's right and wrong in my heart. We all know discrimination is wrong. As for same sex marriage, that's not for us to decide. Believe what you will, but please stop the discrimination.       

Vike_Town_Syd said...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 8:31 am:
No one should tell you who to love. Black, white, Skinny, Tall, Fat, Short, Doesn't matter what you are, You should be able to love who you want to love. I believe that gays should be able to get married also.

Opinionated said...
I like the article because it's very true and well written with alot of good points but it just seems like it'll only exist in a perfect world, people will always descriminate. Just my thoughts... All in all, great article. :D

kaileeboo said...

it means alot that someone doesnt care about  the fact that ur gay but to see beond that and see u for u

WriteForLove replied...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm :
EXACTLY. I THINK THATS WHAT WE ALL WANT IN THE END, TO BE SEEN FOR WHO YOU ARE INSIDE AND TO BE ACCEPTED (: 

kaileeboo replied...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 2:41 pm :
yes it is inportant to many people and some just dont get it

DHgirl said...
wow! i love this! and ur only 16?! wow thts deep keep writing

ShakingChandeliers said...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm:
Thanks so much for this. It really means alot to me. :)

peacechild said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:21 am:
This was really well written. I like your repetition of "I won't tell you.." as it tied the whole piece together and made it seem more like a personal reflection than a professional essay. I agree with your point of view, and overall keep up the good work. :)

WriteForLove replied...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:59 am :
Thank you so much! I'm glad it came off that way. That's the way I wanted it, to show that teenagers have opinions and don't have to have a degree to know what's right. Anyways, thank you!

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm:
Wonderful, A+ on a great article. I couldn't agree more. Keep doing what you're doing, this stuff is wonderful!!!

WriteForLove replied...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm :
Thank you very much! That means the world to me! Thank you!

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm :
No problem, thanks for standing up for what you believe, and letting your voice be heard!

WriteForLove replied...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 9:18 pm :
Thanks! You too!

xtwilightx95 said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 7:17 pm:
This was a good article... I agree with you completely. People have no right to say that what other people believe in is wrong because they would not want it to be done to them either.

WriteForLove replied...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm :
Thank you so much for reading and commenting! It means alot and thanks for standing up for what you believe in!