What about Asians? | Teen Ink

What about Asians?

January 29, 2010
By cpresident BRONZE, Hanoi, Other
cpresident BRONZE, Hanoi, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

During my high school years, I have heard more than several times gossips that do like this:
A: Yeah, yeah, that French guy...
B: How about that brunette? She seems pretty cool!
C: Half British, half Columbian. How about the Asian guy?
A: I don't know, he's Asian anyway
B: well, all of them are the same

The 'all those Asians' seems to never get more specific. Are we Asians not allowed to have an identity?

The discrimination against black by white people has for long been a huge controversy, has long been fought against. There is no doubt about its cruelty and the need for standing up, but why hasn't anyone ever brought up the issue of discrimination against Asians?

It is true that Asians are the most populous in the world, it is true that they are present almost everywhere. Nonetheless, it is obvious that Asians are still seen as inferior. My friend Ivy's family moved to Texas when she was four, and now, living in Shanghai, she still recalled the old days when she was not allowed to be on the soccer team, to enter a restaurant, to go to parties because she was - well - Asian. Another friend, Alex, spent a year in England and found it intimidating. Who would not, if whenever you got on the train people stared at you and cleared the way for you, and if you sat down no one would ever, ever sit next to you? Why? Black hair and yellow skin?

I'm not meant to criticize any 'white' people, as most of my teachers and some of the nicest people I've ever met are 100% white. It might just be the problem of 'some people'. Perhaps some are even unconscious that they are being racist, thus it is pointless to point finger at somebody and say 'hey, stop saying Asians are this and that. You should learn the names and traits of 32 countries in Asia'.

I myself cannot fo anything to stop racism, nor can any other individual or organization. And I believe to a certain extent, conflicts like such will always exist. Making racism as little painful and offensive for everyone is perhaps what we should head for, should we not?


The author's comments:
Names have been changed - I don't think my friends want their real names to be posted here.