Death Row: Justice or Injustice? | Teen Ink

Death Row: Justice or Injustice?

January 29, 2010
By Logan Blackwell BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
Logan Blackwell BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Our government kills people that killed someone to inform the public that killing is wrong. Seems just a little hypocritical, right? Also, what if they gave the death penalty to an innocent person? I’m sure that their family and friends would be far beyond devastated if they received that shocking news. Would that thoroughly justify what they have done? That is basically sinking to the true murderer’s demonic level! It’s basically no different! So do America a favor and abolish the death penalty.

Yes, the death penalty is one way to show them that they have done wrong. Although, wouldn’t years, even life in prison do just the same, or even more? What would they learn by waiting for their very own lethal injection? Yearly, there are many innocent people killed as a result of death row. The danger could increase of innocent, yet accused, people to be put on death row. Isn’t that a horrifying thought? With all the mistakes made by the US government through the death penalty, especially by its mere existence, there simply shouldn’t be an unjust system.

What is wrong with America’s government if they are willing to kill someone if they believe their guilty of murder? With thirty-five states having the death penalty, the risk of someone related somehow to the murder victim being put on death row is substantial. If someone was falsely accused and ultimately put on death row, could you imagine their close friends and beloved family members’ pain? Of course, the chances are slim that you yourself will be falsely accused, but there is still a chance. I honestly think that our government loses respect because of this “flawless” system. So can you be completely sure that our government is of true justice?

It’s petrifying to think that just by knowing the murder victim, you could just as easily be a suspect as anyone else. Death row is ruining America with its increasing risk of “murderers” being killed by the government. Any completely innocent person could fall into the mess of the death penalty. If you still believe that death row is just, how can you be trusted? What if your best friend was murdered and all of the evidence pointed toward you?

Of course the murderer took the lives of innocent people; however this punishment wouldn’t exactly make up for their deaths. The maniacal psycho that ended their lives most likely doesn’t care if they die. Because if the death penalty rate is increasing, it obviously doesn’t matter to them if they live or not! They just want to commit a selfish crime, regardless of the circumstances.

When all is said and done, can you now understand why death row is wrong and completely immoral? Because you cannot ever be completely sure whether or not you are safe when it comes to death row. Fearing what the jury decides would build up a volcano of stress. How would you feel if any of these tragic possibilities happened to you? Our government made a grim mistake that needs fixing.