My knight in a white dress

When I was little, I used to dream of being a princess—all young girls do don't they? I dreamed of being locked in a tower, where my white knight would rescue me. We would love each other, get married, and live happily ever after. No one told me that I could only love a specific type of knight, no one told me that I couldn't love my knight if she was a woman.

In some places around the world being gay is considered illegal and is punishable by death. America is not one of these countries, though many people have been murdered because of their sexual orientation. If this is considered to be acceptable, then someone had better come kill me now because I am guilty of this crime. I am guilty of loving another human being. I guilty of being who I am.

I am not even trying to touch upon the subject of gay marriage, I am talking about the everyday life. Walking down school hallways with people looking at you sideways, with snickering that disappears when you turn around, whispered words of f*****, and d*** swirling around you. I am talking about teenagers who kill themselves because people actually tell them to. “Got kill yourself f*****” is something that I have heard one to many times. I am talking about the newspaper stories about the kid who was pushed in front of a car, or beaten to death because he or she loved someone of the same sex.

Does all of this mean that little girls are not allowed to dream of their perfect knight? Just because that knight may just wear a white dress? Does this mean that “and they lived happily ever after” is not possible for some people? I do not know.

All I know is that I love my knight in a white dress.

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this, I can totally relate to what you wrote about as I too am bisexual.  Keep writing, can't wait, and good luck! :-)

Loka013 replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Wow, I am deeply touched by this. Many times in everyday life as a homosexual teen you do get discriminated against and for some people they dont know they are doing it.

APoetAtHeart said...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 8:37 am:
Aww, that was beautiful.

Court34 said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm:
very good. wow, you can totally feel how much you care about this subject. i can relate. keep writing!

Miep replied...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 8:02 pm :
I love this, and I totally agree with your viewpoints..

Bella said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 2:50 pm:
Passion spills out of this ... you kind of lost direction in the middle, got sort of "ranty" but found your way back in the end. Here's my question: why do knights always have to be white?

Bella-Faye replied...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm :
It was a figure of speech...your right. I shouldn't have put it that way...by saying that I kind of contridicted myself, didnt I? Im sorry, If I could go back and change it I would...my knight could be any color in the world and I would still love her. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way by saying what i did earlier in the article....it was deffinatly not intended. I think everyone should be equal and have equal rights-gays, transgender, minority groups blacks, whites, any one and e... (more »)

neverending said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 1:31 pm:
i really liked this...very deep. you wrote it with passion and it shows that you truly do understand what you are talking about. keep writing!

sara-lynn said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm:
I love it! and I <3 you too! i will see you monday love!

Bella-Faye replied...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm :
haha, lol. I love you to sara-lynn

Sara M. replied...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm :
Hehe! I think it's a great article too ^^

robrobrobin11 said...
You come across as a very open minded and loving person. I love your knight metaphor, it's so clever and soooo insightful. Beautiful article. Keep writing
;-)

CSJS! said...
Wow, great article! I really hate it when people complain about things that really don't concern them. Good for you for being so true to yourself and not letting anyone force you to be someone you aren't!

Bella-Faye replied...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 10:10 am :
thank you so much! i am so glad that you liked it! it was just one of those things that just seemed like it NEEDED to be written. just to get it out there. I do feel bad for saying 'white knight' because after all, you white knight might not actually BE white....so someone pointed that out to me, lol. but yea. thank you so much for you comment!