Her name is Woman

People say “Be yourself!”, they don't mean it. People say do what you think is right – but they mean what they think is right.

Personally something keeps bugging me. Its not something I guess you hear a lot of people say but I'm sick of hearing feminists dictating what a woman should be. That is the truth. People tell you to do what you want but they honestly think that means be a doctor or a lawyer. Discrimination against housewives and mother is really making me sick.

They complain if you depend on a guy – some girls like that. They complain if you give up a career to have a baby – some girls don't want to be out there. I guess you could say I'm traditional. I don't care if you go and work, I don't care if you don't want to get married. I don't care if you want to pay all of your bills – but because you do doesn't mean I should.

When I lay down at night sometimes my dreams are to be a doctor, sometimes they are to be a personal trainer. Sometimes my dream is simply meeting a guy and getting married, let him work and me stay home with the kids. That doesn't make me a bad person – I'm not made like everybody else.

I dream about sewing and knitting my babies clothes and booties. I dream about cooking and cleaning and having pride in my home. I dream about sitting around with my husband in the evening watching a movie or reading the Bible while we play with our babies and kids.

Women have fought for so long to become this figure of not needing anyone and depending on themselves. But there are girls out there who want to depend on a husband they meet at church camp, there are girls who want to depend on their high school sweethearts. There are some girls who want to have babies and who want to clean.

I can understand women and girls wanting to become a real career fighter but that isn't for me. I want to have a garden and let my little girl pick the flowers, I want to bake cookies with my little boy.

This figure that we have been fighting for has really backfired. Tthere is such a beautiful thing in women. We are passionate, caring, loving, understanding, and always there for a good cry. But because Women have fought for this image we have lost a lot of that. I understand if you want to but some women and girls walk around manly and rude. I think a woman who stays home is beautiful. I think a woman who works at the Hospital saving lives is beautiful. And they are. Why can't everyone see that?

People say I'm like this because I'm a non-denominational Christian who doesn't cut her hair or who only wears skirt. But that isn't it at all. I have the freedom to do whatever I want and this is what I want. Some women are too gentle and to tender to be out in a world where there is too much hate and violence. Some women are stronger and want to fight against the injustice on inhumanity. Whether your saving a life through surgery or through raising a child to grow up and be a good person who cares, your still saving a life. Protecting an innocent baby who can't fight for itself against abuse and neglect isn't just for Social Workers, mother fight against injustice too, just in their own way. And that is a beautiful job that shouldn't be degraded.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a wife or mother . . .thats what some of us are born to do. In each woman there is a special beauty. Her heart especially. Why take the space in your heart that you could have love and fill it with hate? Just because you can see your reflection in the water doesn't mean you can see everyone else's.

moosemitts said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 12:54 am

There are radical feminists who believe that women are mindless slaves if they want to be wives and mothers, but there aren't very many of them, and I don't think these radicals have very much power in our society. Most feminists (including myself) would agree with you that motherhood is one of the most beautiful and meaningful paths a woman can choose in her life, and that it is perfectly alright for a woman to decide to be a stay-at-home mom. My mom didn't work for almos... (more »)

toxic.monkey replied...
i agree with everything you said :) i've nothing against the author's view but i personally believe women should be able to stand their own in life, but if they choose to rely on their husband (or wife :)) I have nothing against them.

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think you're a little mixed up here. Wanting to be a wife and mother doesn't make you less of a feminist- it makes you more of one. Recognizing that women can have more than one image- not JUST the powerful, strong superhero, but also the gentle, caring mother- is a trait that represents supporting equality. This article makes an extremely important point and I happen to agree with it (even though I don't want to be a mother myself.) You also express this point very well and I a... (more »)

Julietbyheart replied...
I agree. The point I was trying to make was that because you want to be a wife and mother people shouldn't look down on you. I've seen people do that, I don't want to be a feminist but I think its great women can be anything they wish, even if that means old fashioned and fragile or a doctor or whatever. I just wanted to say its all important as long as the woman or girl is who she is meant to be :) Thanks for the comment.

robrobrobin11 said...
I love your closing paragraph, it makes you more relatable and less... forceful in the idea that you have the right opinion. The important thing to remember is what feminism is. People give feminist a bad rep. when really all a feminist is, is believing in equal oppurtunity for woman. You never have to exercise these things, or fight for these things but reconize they deserve the oppurtunity. I support choices to be mothers and not career woman. I support the other. I'm a feminist and I don... (more »)

Julietbyheart replied...
Yeah, I wasn't being mean or rude. I was just sasying be who your meant to be and know that is enough :) Thanks for the comment.