Think Before You Speak

Many lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students are disrespected everyday when students use homophobic remarks. This makes them feel unwanted and unsafe. “That’s so gay”, is one of the most common homophobic remarks, but many people don’t realize how insulting this remark can be. It also can carry over into harassment. Do you think it would be nice if people stated using remarks like, that’s so “jock that can complete a pass but not a sentence”, that’s so “cheerleader who like can’t like say smart stuff,” or maybe even that’s so “gamer guy that has more video games than friends.” If you think that’s hurtful, how do you think ‘that’s so gay’ sounds? Its hurtful and insulting.

The rate of negative remarks about lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people is huge. Reports of hearing homophobic remarks are more than half of the students at a school. Homophobic remarks are one problem; another is the harassment and bullying of LGBT students. Results of harassment and bullying can be students feeling unsafe, missing school, receiving lower grades, and not attending college. Did you know that in the last year 9 out of 10 LGBT have been harassed? Over one third of LGBT students have been physically assaulted because of the gender identity and sexual orientation. Sad, isn’t it? People should be respected for whom they are. A lot of homophobic remarks aren’t intended to be hurtful or offensive; they’re just said in carelessness. In order to stop this, we all need to start thinking before we speak. Sometimes we may not understand the consequences of the words we choose.

kaileeboo said...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 10:15 am

i think that this is a good paper cas u do bring up alot of good points and if the LGBTQ people would take a stand for themselvs things would b diffrent

thedepartedone replied...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 11:21 am
Thank you! :)

kaileeboo replied...

your welcome it takes alot as a straight person to say somthing like that

thedepartedone replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 9:45 am
Yeah, sometimes people get the wrong idea.

kaileeboo replied...

i dont i am glad there is people like u

thedepartedone replied...
Thanks, hah :) that means a lot.

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 11:12 am
I'm so sorry- I accidentally rated this 'one'! I meant to rate it five stars out of five! This is a really good article and I feel the same way about discrimination against gays.

rantserpantser replied...
Thank you!