Against Affirmative Action | Teen Ink

Against Affirmative Action

By Nick Dotson SILVER, Cypress, Texas
Nick Dotson SILVER, Cypress, Texas

Affirmative action is a program based on ending discrimination, but in realty, it has only made discrimination worse. It has caused segregated dorms and many minorities to be compromised. Since skin color instead of academic achievement is considered, many students are not being admitted into their school of choice. Instead, grades, test scores, and extra-curricular involvements are being pushed aside in lieu of a person’s race.

Affirmative action has actually caused more segregation. Colleges are claiming that through the use of affirmative action; their campuses can be diverse campuses. So, what actions are they taking to promote this type of campus? In The Case Against Affirmative Action, the author states, “This same push for ‘diversity’ also has led Stanford to create racially segregated dormitories, racially segregated freshman orientation programs, racially segregated graduation ceremonies and curricular requirements in race theory and gender studies” (Sacks/Thiel 1). In the name of diversity, campuses are actually becoming more segregated. It seems it has created a whole new cycle of discrimination.

Supporters for affirmative action may argue that it helps the economically disadvantaged. Students who are too poor to even consider college can now have a chance for admittance into some competitive colleges. However, studies have shown that “…preferences primarily benefit applicants from middle- and upper-class backgrounds” (Thomas Sowell of the Hoover Institution 1). It is a noble thought to desire in assisting the poor. If this is truly the goal of affirmative action then the color of ones skin should not even be a consideration. Income and lifestyles, such as single parenting or large families, should be.

Affirmative action causes deserving students to not be accepted into a college that they applied for and were very qualified for entrance to this particular school. Sure, if someone doesn’t get into their first college, then they still have a chance at getting into another. Should that rejection be based on their achievements or skin color? The kid who goes to a college preparatory high school, earns good grades and who is involved should be admitted into college, but with affirmative action, the less knowledgeable kid gets accepted in his place even though he isn’t educationally ready. He does have the appropriate skin color, though.
In conclusion, colleges should not continue using Affirmative Action. Affirmative action may have been implemented over twenty-five years ago to promote diversity but instead has actually kept discrimination going strong. I am against affirmative action because it denies the person who deserves to go to their first pick college and allows a less educated person to go because of their race, and not their accomplishments. Affirmative action not only causes segregation, but it also has caused minorities to become compromised. At one time, it may have lessened the severity of discrimination, but now there is no need for it because affirmative action is making discrimination worse.

Beebe said...
on May. 13 2015 at 12:11 pm
This article should win a grammy!!