Wouldn't it Be Boring if We Were All the Same?

When you see a teenager dressed in black, with long hair that covers their eyes, and scars on their wrists, what do you see? You may see what they look like on the outside—someone who is different, who is troubled, and is just not the norm. But maybe you see past appearances, pas looks, past stereotypes, like we all should. Maybe you see them as they really are--a writer, an artist, someone with talent, intelligence, and ambition.

Another teenager with beach blond hair and an Aeropastle shirt walks by. Do you see their appearance and assume, “They’re mean, snobby, and stuck up,” or, “All they care about is gossip, cell phones, clothes, and boys. She’s a wh**e.” Or do you see someone who may be the nicest person you’ve ever met, someone who is sweet, polite, and caring, if you’d only take the time to get to know them. They could have the same interests and hobbies as you. You could easily start a conversation with them, but you can’t see past stereotypical appearances.

You never know what someone is like unless you get to know them. The phrase “You can’t judge a book by its cover” holds truth. This person could be your best friend if you just gave them the chance.

So someone is different from you. They look, dress, act, and have interests different from you. Maybe their fashion sense is a little off, or maybe their nose is a little big, or they laugh a bit weird. What do you do? You tease them, taunt them, and make fun of them. Why? They’re different.

Think about it. You tease people for being different. You want them to conform? You want them to be the same as you? Wouldn’t it be boring, however, if everyone was the same?

Respect people for their individuality and uniqueness, rather than punishing them. Don’t assume just because someone looks a certain way that they act a certain way. Give people a chance.

koolma said...
You have no idea how cool you are, do ya?

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 2:40 pm :
Uh...I guess not. Are you saying that I am?

awesome_poet said...
that was deep...but i expected nothing less from you...

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 10:53 am :
Aw, well thank you! :)

jigjoo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:54 am:
Oh, you're right, Andy. I hate it when people avoid me because I look like the Grudge! (I lost my brush, okay?) It's not right to judge people, even though everyone does that anyway. Beautiful writing, as I expected from you, darling.

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:56 am :
Not quite as beautiful as yours, my friend! :)

jigjoo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:32 pm :
Ah, but alas- none of my writing has made it on teenink yet! Only the one...and that is not even what I meant it to be! Editing has not refined my darling, it has instead cut it open into a raw, bleeding wound, a disgrace in God's eternal eyes!

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:35 pm :
Well, none of your magnificent writings have been published yet because the editors have yet to read them! I'm sure the fine members of this site will enjoy reading your eloquent stories!

Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:37 pm :
*snort* I doubt it. You always have more faith in me than is due.

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:39 pm :
Your stories are amazing, and you know it.

Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:54 pm :
They are not. They lack proper sentence fluency, original ideas, flow....So many things that only the truly talented are blessed with! Like you...

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 17, 2009 at 12:34 pm :
The words flow and compliment one another magnificently and are so enjoyable to read. You, my dear friend, are an excellent writer.