Wouldn't it Be Boring if We Were All the Same?

When you see a teenager dressed in black, with long hair that covers their eyes, and scars on their wrists, what do you see? You may see what they look like on the outside—someone who is different, who is troubled, and is just not the norm. But maybe you see past appearances, pas looks, past stereotypes, like we all should. Maybe you see them as they really are--a writer, an artist, someone with talent, intelligence, and ambition.

Another teenager with beach blond hair and an Aeropastle shirt walks by. Do you see their appearance and assume, “They’re mean, snobby, and stuck up,” or, “All they care about is gossip, cell phones, clothes, and boys. She’s a wh**e.” Or do you see someone who may be the nicest person you’ve ever met, someone who is sweet, polite, and caring, if you’d only take the time to get to know them. They could have the same interests and hobbies as you. You could easily start a conversation with them, but you can’t see past stereotypical appearances.

You never know what someone is like unless you get to know them. The phrase “You can’t judge a book by its cover” holds truth. This person could be your best friend if you just gave them the chance.

So someone is different from you. They look, dress, act, and have interests different from you. Maybe their fashion sense is a little off, or maybe their nose is a little big, or they laugh a bit weird. What do you do? You tease them, taunt them, and make fun of them. Why? They’re different.

Think about it. You tease people for being different. You want them to conform? You want them to be the same as you? Wouldn’t it be boring, however, if everyone was the same?

Respect people for their individuality and uniqueness, rather than punishing them. Don’t assume just because someone looks a certain way that they act a certain way. Give people a chance.

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:53 am:
Powerful, straightforward, and brilliantly written. 5/5! I love the word choice, and the sentence structure/flow is impeccable. Great job!!

originalityisdeadd said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm:
This is brilliant. You put what I've always thought into words.

FireThought said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:19 am:
You are tthe most powerful writer ever. I love your work

Aspiringauhor said...
So true! We, as humans, tend to stereotype. You pointed out two of the most common ones. This was a really well written piece.

snickersbarkit said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:24 am:
you know you write really well. this is a great argument for when people call me the odd one out.

Lyall H. said...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 1:04 am:
I don't judge people by looks, sure dressing good doesn't hurt but i dotn care if im talking to Obama or a stranger, im not going to treat either with a different manner. id shake Obama's hand and the strangers. its just who i am. 

schlage said...
People are so judgemental these days. Your article is awesome. Hopefully some people will realize their prejudice. Cause that girl with the aeropostale shirt might have more cuts on her wrist then the girl wearing black.

susu.ali said...
I LIKE YOUR PAPER. I'M NOT YOUR AVERAGE 17 YEAR OLD. I LIKE POLITICS, WRITING, BURROWING MYSELF IN BOOKS ETC. AND I CONSIDER MYSELF UNIQUE BUT, I FELT LIKE ITS  GOOD THING TO BE DIFFERENT AND NOT BAD. BEACUSE FOR SO LONG I TRIED TO BE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. WHAT WAS PRECIEVED AS BEING NORMAL. AND I HATED IT SO THANK U

SuicidalLoveMonster said...

I love you<3

This made me feel so much better, and I as well, wish that I wasn't called "Emo" every single day.

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:30 am :
Glad I could help =)

Fires said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 10:30 pm:
You are right we cant judge on how they look or act. We are all different thats what makes the world interesting. You are telling the truth. Keep writing!! Amazing

^megan:) said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm:
this speaks truth, which is a really good thing :) keep it up, you're really talented

peace_love_beauty replied...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 11:49 am :
Thanks :) I appreciate it

^unshed.tears replied...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm :
anytime :) can yu chekc out some of my stuff?

peace_love_beauty replied...
Mar. 15, 2010 at 12:13 pm :
Sure I will :)

schoolshawty said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm:
im like that eccept my hair is brown but i look diffrent in my picsz i most definatly understand were ur coming from i love ur poem

M.A.C. said...
This is an excellent view. Personally, people just think I'm weird because I read too much, but this is definitely that could change someone's mind.

Breingan122 said...
Dec. 22, 2009 at 9:37 am:
this was prrrety good.

peace_love_beauty replied...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 8:04 am :
thanks :)

koolma said...
You have no idea how cool you are, do ya?