Parental Rejection

I’ve never really been sure if I was a lesbian or bisexual. But last year, I met the most amazing girl in the world.

Even though we were both in relationships at the time, I felt a sort of connection. We mostly talked on Myspace and we’d just talk for hours. It was really hard keeping it from my parents because I wanted to share my happiness.

If you’re in love then why should you have to hide it? But I had a pretty good reason. I knew that if my parents found out about us, my relationship would be over. And I was right.

One weekend when I was at her house, I got a phone call from my mom. She said that she had a problem with something on my Myspace page. I had set my orientation to “Bi” and my status to ‘Married” because I didn’t think it would be a big deal since all my friends knew.

After I got off of the phone with my mom, I told my girlfriend what happened and we decided to just break it off. We hardly got to see each other since we didn’t go to the same school. I knew that even if we did, my parents would have transferred me out as soon as possible.

When I got home my parents and I got into a huge argument. I just didn’t understand why they refused to accept me. I know they love me, but doesn’t that mean they should try to accept me? My parents banned me from using the phone or the computer because they didn’t want me talking to her anymore.

It’s been about 2 months since I’ve last seen her. Everyday it hurts even more. Of course I still sneak phone calls and emails, but it’s not the same. I miss being able to see her and say “I love you “to her face.

Things now at home are really weird. My parents are acting like nothing ever happened. It’s like they’re trying to forget everything, and that makes me angry. This is still affecting me. I can’t just pretend that everything is fine.

I’m not confused. I know exactly who and what I want. Being gay or bisexual isn’t a curse. People need to realize that they should love others for who they are and not for who they’re in love with.

Monroe4President_ said...
Great very relatable

Emily A. said...
May 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm:
I'm sorry about this :( 

EPluribusUnumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Being bi just makes you twice as loving, and I'm sorry your parents can't see that.

oddballinthegroup said...
wow your artical is really good im bi and i havent told my parents yet and im sorry about the way your mom reacted

pinkjello1994 said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 7:25 pm:
I couldnt agree more! peoples intolerance these days is terrible. I love that you wrote this because a lot of people can relate to it.

LaurenRachel:) said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 11:12 pm:
I know exactly how you feel. I'm going through pretty much the same thing. Except my girlfriend goes to my school. I'm so sorry.

JAZLIZZLE! replied...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 12:17 am :
Well I wrote this a few years ago. My parents kinda pretend it never happened, and they've been pressuring me to go to prom with a guy.  And I'm not dating this girl anymore, we haven't spoken in awhile actually. But I'm happily engaged to someone amazing now :)

TeaCat replied...
Apr. 16, 2011 at 9:26 am :
I'm glad for you! :)

SilverSnowflakes said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 6:17 pm:
I haven't researched this, but are there any scientific things you can show them to help convince them that it is the way you are and it's not something they can change, like when Harry Potter's aunt and uncle tried to keep him from being a wizard?

JAZLIZZLE! replied...
Apr. 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm :
I love Harry Potter :) It's obvious to them I haven't changed as a person, and they aren't as bad about me dating anymore. Just as long as I don't bring any dates to the house. But I think they're slowly working on it.

caitlin.calamity said...
Tell them this. Show them this. That is so unfair of them, especially as your parents. How can your parents discriminate against you like that? What is their reasoning? Are they Christians?? Because I believe Christians should be the most accepting at all of LGBT. This makes me so mad. These discriminations make me want to scream. I'm sorry that you had to experience this injustice... I wish you didn't have to go through that.