Cartoons Stereotype

I believe that cartoons teach kids and some adults many different stereotypes. Some of the one’s that I would like to address are: People of color are portrayed as bad (stealers, lazy, poor, dumb, mean, etc.). Men are often hero’s (Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Wolverine, etc.). Women are normally showed as weak (need saving, not in charge, gullible, etc.).
First of all I am going to give some examples of People of color being stereotyped. In Bugs Bunny there is a man named Husan. Husan is clearly a man of different color. The cartoonists of Bugs Bunny make Husan seem dumb, gullible, and slow. Which is okay. But why does Husan have to be a person of color?
Second of all in Speedy Gonzalez a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Speedy and Slowpoke were people of color. They were always stealing from people.
Third of all the witch doctor in Bugs Bunny always fell for tricks. He was gullible. Again he was people of color.
Next I would like to address that men are always the heroes. In my first example that I will be sharing. I’m going to tell you about Superman.
Superman is a famous hero. But why did he have to be a guy? Why couldn’t he have become a girl? Guys don’t always have to be the heroes.
Second of all. I would like to bring in Spiderman. Spiderman, as some of you may know is my favorite hero. But I don’t like how the producers made him a guy. He could have been a girl. A girl could have been the photographer. A girl could have been looking at a guy just as easily as vise-versa.
Thirdly I’m going to talk about Popeye. Popeye is always saving Olive Oil. From Ghosts, robbers, Kings, etc. But why does Popeye have to be the one to eat Spinach I love Spinach and I’m a girl.
Lastly I would to talk about how cartoons stereotype girls. How all cartoons make girls look weak, helpless, and need to be saved.
My first example is Sleeping Beauty. Sleeping Beauty had to be awakened by a kiss. Men can be beautiful. And girls can kiss them. Guys like kisses just as much as girls.
My second example is Cinderella. Cinderella was bossed around by her stepsisters. She was poor. And again she needs to be saved. And as we see over and over Prince Charming was the one to save her, from her dreadful life.
My last and final example is Mary Jane. Mary Jane was often captured by the “bad guys”. She wasn’t that weak. Nor dumb. Neither are most girls, are we? No. But do people care? No. They still make it so that we have to be saved.
Stereotypes are all over the place. Especially in cartoons. A lot of the time in cartoons people of color are portrayed as bad. Often in cartoons the men are heroes and are strong. In cartoons where some one is being saved I always see that to be a girl.

Confused_scheherazade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:20 pm:
First of all, i do agree with the problems in animation. However, these problems have occured as a result of the environment in which they were created, and secondly do occur in all types of media representation, sometimes today. stereotypes are created from the lack of diverse and strong depictions of what is known as minority league: women, African American, etc. However in this age the minority is becoming the majority and children who watch cartoons need role models who show that it is possi... (more »)

RealisticWoman said...

I agree with you that cartoons stereotype. But the reason was, that this was the 1930’s. People accepted the common beliefs of blacks and Mexicans back then because they were true. Examples were that the blacks were not given education so they were slow in some areas. Also during that time Mexicans were indeed trying to cross the boarder and trying to take what they needed to survive. Hollywood just used it as a form of entertainment.

Men are heroes because, let&rsq... (more »)

alexxxxxxxxx said...
I believe these are all just coinsidenses. Most of the cartoons listed above were before the cival rights movement. So cartoon makers from present day aren't whose to blame. You justt can't help but love these cartoons. I mean, I'm mexican and I love Speedy Gonzalez. So is Jerry from Tom and Jerry. Its in almost every cartoon.

ShakingChandeliers said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm:
There is also a character who is Japanese. He is portrayed with giant teeth squinty eyes, and he talks very unclearly. Not cool.

theblazingstar101 said...

Now I do agree that cartoons use stereotypes, but your article just isn't very convincing. Firstly, you only use a few sources, and some of your statements are incorrect.

Firstly, you mention the producers could've made Spider-man and Superman since they're guys in the comics...? This has nothing to do with stereotypes in cartoons; he's a comic character. And if you're discussing comic characters, where on Earth did you get the idea that men are always heroes? What about WonderWom... (more »)

LunaAvril said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 3:56 am:
I'm very agree! The only cartoon I've ever liked are W.I.T.C.H.(a comic magazine/cartoon about five teenagers who have magical powers, and use them to save the world)The main characters are 5 girls with superpowers. One of the girls are Asian, another is black. How cool is that?

Wheat_Wheat said...
It's sad to know that they are and always will be putting these things into their movies. Why must the different colored people always be portrayed as stupid or incompitent? Why are women always weak, wrong and always need a man. Why can't they make a movie where a women needs to wake the man with a kiss or a women and a women. It's sad becasue kids watch these movies and grow up beliveing that man is meant to save women always and man is with woman always. Or that colored people ... (more »)

Mystery_Girl replied...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm :
I am in agreence.