What is wrong with being different?

In today’s society, there are labels for every single person. Whether it is jock, prep, burn out, nerd, geek, or even queer, these labels can sometimes hurt. Just because a person doesn’t fit into another person’s idea of how they should be, that shouldn’t give them the right to stamp a label on their forehead. People act like being different is a crime, an unlawful act against society.
I have been a victim of this process my whole life. I was labeled as gay, queer, homo, and many other names, just because I am different. People will walk down the hallways at school and look at me, point, laugh, and even hit me, and I always ask myself the same question “What did I ever do to that person?” I have never understood why they would treat me like that, just because I didn’t act like every other guy at my school. I’m not gay and people just can’t accept I’m different.
People teasing me has scarred me forever, those nights I spent wishing I was dead. So words of advice to people, whenever you think about teasing someone don’t. You never know what kind of pain your causing.

schlage said...
It's great to hear that you were able to overcome the bullying. Many haven't been able to. Suicide rates are rising and your article makes a really good point at a big issue in our country.

Jayme said...
Your right, they have no idea what kind of pain their causing you. Sometimes it ends lives, it almosted ended mine. But all you can do is try to be that one person who cares.

Ally said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 10:15 am
i suffer with the same problem ! i think u should just let them blab, ignore them as theyre only making a fool of themselves ! be the way you are ! we are born as a original and we should not die as a copy !  :)

peace_love_beauty replied...
May 5, 2011 at 11:20 am
People are just so uncomfortable with theirselves that they find it necessary to harass others for their differences or flaws. Which is totally not cool.

stmxo12 said...
People are afraid of what they can't understand. I'm with you 100% on this one, as I've been ridiculed for being different as well. But you know what? One day, we'll be the ones looking back at them laughing. This is my hope, anyway. That we will make a difference, we are the ones that stand out. We're born an original. Let's not die a copy. :)

Volleygirl25 said...
Just keep your head up and realize your that much better than them already.