Reverse Discrimination

By , Park Ridge, IL
Affirmative action was created to stop discrimination of race during the application process for colleges, but it actually created a stronger foundation to discrimination and even a type of reverse discrimination. America runs on equality, then why do certain people have a greater chance to get accepted into a college or university? Color should not be the determining factor for anything. Two students apply to a college, one with a GPA of 3.15 and the other with a 3.00. The one with the 3.15 deserves to get accepted, but they didn’t. The person with the 3.00 got accepted because they were Latino and the other person was White. That person did not have the choice to be White, but they were born white. A person’s determination and knowledge should be the determining factor, not who their ancestors were. I am a junior in High School, I will be applying to colleges and I want the hard work I’ve done to count. Any person who has worked hard should not have something taken away from them because they are considered a majority. Each person is an individual and that is how they should be viewed as.

LadyWisdom98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 30 at 10:10 pm
I completely agree that affirmitive action is absurd, (and note that I am a minority female student saying this), but I do find it offensive that the scenario that you give in this article portray minority applicants as being inferior to Caucasian students. Why it always assumed that a white student would have a higher GPA than a student of color? I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm just saying that that isn't always the case when the final decision in the admissions process co... (more »)

Amelia_R-FThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 9 at 10:58 pm
If you need other people to be at a disadvantage in order to get into college, you didn't do your job as a student. Hear me out:

There was a famous experiment done many years ago called the Blue Eyed, Brown Eyed experiment (or something to that effect). In it, a school teacher in a third grade classroom told all the kids with brown eyes they were superior for the day and explained that they should act like it. The kids with blue eyes were shunned, not allowed to play with kids w... (more »)

Anonymous said...
You people really piss me off with these affirmative action opinion pieces. Why do you always give a scenario in which the Caucasian student has better grades than the minority student? Why does everyone always  assume that minorities have lower grades than white kids? It's very offensive, especially considering the fact that I am a minority. I work hard to get grades and I'm on the High Honor Roll at my school with one of the highest averages in the entire student body. ... (more »)

LaughsAlone said...
Completely agree :) I am Caucasian and although I'm in the gifted program and get good grades, I'm going to have trouble getting into college because we aren't doing well financially...but my Asian friends with the same grades might get scholarships they don't need as they are pretty well off. :/

Amelia_R-FThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 9 at 11:00 pm
Your argument has little merit because few schools view Asian people as members of a marginalized group when executing affirmative action policies.

rightbehindyou61 said...
I know what you mean. In college applications, the international student or the minority will always be chosen over the other students, no matter what there qualifications. I've always felt so boring and plain because many of my friends had rich cultural heritages, but I've come to accept that just because they can trace their ancestry back farther than I can doesn't make me any less unique. I'm just special in different ways. :-)

Dosia replied...
Its funny... because everyone believes America is all about equality, but lately I have had other thoughts. Its sad because some people don't see that.

LaughsAlone replied...
ha yeah my friends will be talking about the many languages they know and Chinese school and I'll be like....cough... Well, their ancestry is from one country and I come from over five backgrounds...so I can feel unique too ;)

Jan. 9 at 11:08 pm
Being white doesn't make you boring -- being a boring person makes you boring. Many white people are neither boring nor plain. From personal experience, I can tell you my white friends aren't boring. I can think of dozens of white public figures who aren't boring (Hillary Clinton, for example).