Matthew Shepard

A feeling of utter repulsion washed over me as I read about a remarkable young man who was raped, terrorized, brutally beaten, and murdered all because of his sexual orientation. Matthew Shepard was a newly independent college student with a bright life in front of him, before it was viciously stolen from him. On October 11th, 1998, Matthew Shepard was beaten, while two despicable assailants ignored his pleas for his life. After having beaten him into a coma, the two soulless maggots left him helpless tied to a fence post. After being found, he died on Oct. 12th 1998, but never woke up to say goodbye to his family.

As I read more about Matthew Shepard‘s story, I found myself feeling nauseous. There is an anti-gay Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka who took it upon themselves to not only slander homosexuals, at Matthew Shepard’s funeral, but also at the trial of his killers. These signs were not preaching that sins could be repented, they were filled with hatred. The signs read "God Hates F***," "Matt in Hell," "F*** Die [sic] God Laughs" and "USA= F** Nation." Those were just a few of the utterly hateful and repulsive propaganda that was polluting the funeral of Matthew Shepard. I was speechless, and mortified at this point upon reading this. I decided to research into this church. From the websites I visited, I thought they had to be hoaxes. I thought they were jokes, parodies, mockeries of the people who do not support gay marriage. I then came to find horrible images, as well as writings from people like this who made me want to vomit at the mere thought of saying I was the same species as these haters. For what reason do these unintelligent parasites, think that they have the divine ability to cast judgment upon people? What I then came to unfold made me so utterly livid I barely was able to sit.

I find it hard to fathom that the Westboro Church now has a way to speak to God and find his true intentions with these acts. I find it pitiful that they are making a ventriloquist act of God. Using his image to spout of their despicable sayings and lies. These people scrounge on the lowest of filth for their hateful propaganda. They use their Bibles as shields in their pathetic quest for divine power against us mere mortals. The Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) uses such appalling statements that make you wonder what twisted mind could formulate these unfathomable lines that bash and slander the helpless.

If desecrating Matthew Shepard’s funeral was not enough, then a monument MUST be erected. In some twisted way, he should be slandered for the rest of the monuments existence. The monument they hoped to erect was to say, “MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination.' Leviticus 18:22." If not for the lack of city permits, the law would allow this monument to stand “proud” in this boy’s town. Since when did smearing the name of the dead, become ok?

native_baby said...
May 3, 2011 at 11:50 pm:
wow this is so sad , i feel really bad for matt he had his whole life to him and that was takin away by ignorant and stupid people who does not know that we are equal and it does not matter who we like and what race we are...we are alll people i think the world could accept people in to their lifes or not ...if not they can move on instead of bullying them ..my god i hate people like that ! but myself i accept people for who they are and not what they look like !!

Fabuquinn said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 2:17 pm:
This article makes me so sad:( It is dispicable what those jerks did to Matthew, and equally dispicable what the people from WBC did to him after his death. How dare they do something like that in the name of God. That is not what God wants! I can promise you that. 

T.R. Trevino said...

I am rendered speechless. Not something that happens very often.

What the WBC did was hateful. BUT-this does inspire me to further stand up to such hate.

greenbean_94 replied...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm :
While I agree that what they did was VERY wrong, (It made me sick) I am a Christian and I want to say that not ALL of us are like that! Yes, I believe homosexuality is a sin, but I do not hate homosexuals one bit! In fact, I have friends that are homosexual. I have made it clear that I do not agree with their choices, but I love them still. After all, you can love someone and not agree with their EVERY choice, right? Christians are called to love the sinner and hate the sin, not hate both! So, t... (more »)

KrystalT said...
I want to cry...

monkeyfaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 17, 2010 at 12:21 am:
when they say that God only likes certian people thats a HUGE lie... God love everybody no matter how you look what color your skin is or even what your sexual perspectives are... if your gay or lesbo or evne bi thats just how people are... i really wish that people would understand a respect that about pepole but some people just dont understand

Melloves92 said...
What happened to Matthew Shepard was truly a tragesty in the world.  I'm so disgusted that people could do that to other people simply because of who they love.  God loves all, he doesn't discriminate and neither should we.

gracegirl29This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
thanks for posting this! i myself am i chri.stian, but i think it is horrible when people say that G.od hates them just because they aren't perfect. nobody's perfect, and He loves us all- some people just get wayyy to extreme because if they were true believers they wouldn't be beating up the poor guy, they'd be trying to help them.

youveleftmespeechless said...
Great article! I added it to my favorites!

faypirate23 said...
May 18, 2010 at 8:21 pm:
yes these ppl are absolutley horrible ppl gos has a place for THEM dont worry.they tried to come to my state and protest the dead coal miners at there funerals i knew some of those ppl thats horrible they wud do that they hate america they hate gays they just love to hate everything

Mehreen R. said...
Apr. 18, 2010 at 9:56 am:
wbc strikes again at military funeral protests. look into phelps v. snyder. wbc's pastor fred phelps sued for invasion of privacy. case will be taken to the supreme court regarding wbc's first amendments rights in funeral situations

more_weight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 1:07 pm:
This sickens me. These people are not only committing heinous acts against humanity in this terrible assault of words but they are also placing a terrible image upon everyone who believes in God. I, myself, am a Atheist but I realize that not all religious people are like this. Do these people realize what their doing? They using God to further exempt their fear and hatred because they can't stand the fact that someone is different from them!

prccgeek This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Really well written article. It takes guts to stand up for a subject that sadly still makes many people very uncomfortable. I can't believe people would actually hold up a sign that says god laugh when another person dies. It makes me really sick too. Any God worth believing in should not laugh at anyones death. No human should laugh at someone elses death.

cbienaime said...
Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka came to my Highschool
Cambridge Ma......
Great article

MarinaOreo replied...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 10:22 am :
Make I ask how that went?

mynameisntbobhaha said...
Hi, maia11! You had a really good article and I fully agree with you that this church was quite evil. However, I fear that this article could be used as a propaganda tool against Christians. This is perhaps the most miniscule minority in Christianity. Their views are in direct opposition to the Word of God. The Bible only says to expel them from the congregation. You confront them several times and if they keep to their sin, you expel them. No hate or anything. The whole goal is to lovingly ... (more »)

silence21 said...
I'm happy that you wrote this because people need to know these things, they shouldn't keep these things quiet. I mean, didn't the Bible say God loves everyone?
Good Job :)

Bahena said...
I have read Mathew's story several times. I don't support gay marriage but i don't discriminate. People should not be killed by their sexual orientation. I would never discriminate or kill someone for being gay . It is not fair and should not be done. I respect gay people even though i may not like their actions but that is just me.

poetryizlife101 replied...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 11:31 am :
hi ivery mucha appreciate this article for the small fact that my best guy frend is gay and in my skool he was teased so much by other students that i attempted suicide and has now been put in an asylum by his own parents who call him crazy because of loving the wrong ppl i believe god loves us regardless of who we love 

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 17, 2011 at 6:58 pm :
Bahena, this comment makes me feel really happy that people like you are out there -- I personally do support gay marriage, but I respect people like you very much. Thank you.