More Than Color

when it comes to me I'm just another Heins 57. i come from a background of many different nations and countries. however when people ask what I am mixed with they expect a simple white and black and Indian, but i refuse to leave it as such.
i am more than black, white, or Indian, i am African American, Asian, Jewish, Irish, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Chickasaw, and German. so why should i stop at saying that i am only black, white, and Indian?
by the way what is black? black is not a race or a culture, black is a color, and we as human beings should not downgrade ourselves as being called a color. it saddens me that we go by color. i am not black or white matter fact i am the color of a gym floor. However if someone asks me what race am i, you will not hear me say gym floor.
don't allow anyone to call you a color when it comes to race. That is not who you are.

Nighthawk1TO said...
i kinda agre who care what race you are its just imprtant that we are all human beings. Im mexican american and i dont much care about who i am from but i car that what we can do

l.u.v said...
This article is deep an true.I understand  what the article means an, what the article is trying to tell us.Thats why i like the article so much.

swcricket98 said...
I wish that I could respect more than just the idea behind the writing of this article, but I can't because of all of the capitalization errors and run-on sentences.

olican16 said...
Aug. 16, 2010 at 11:02 am:
this poem is great.My school is very clicky and i bet people who come to visit our school are hurt at how we only sit with out race. You know what really bothers me? When people call me white or a cracker and they think it doesent hurt me when it really does. Yey if the person who called me that is african american or mexican they will start a fight if they are called the mean name that they are called and i think we all know what names im talking bout! anyway great job!!

olican16 said...
Aug. 16, 2010 at 10:59 am:
i really agree with this poem. im not white, that is the color of a piece of paper. People think that it doesnt hurt being called white or a "cracker" but they dont know that it does. Yet if the person calling me that isnt white they dont like being called a mean name if they are african american or if they are a mexican, and i think we all know what names im talking about. My school is very clicky and split up into races. it really hurts for a stranger to see our lunchroomand see how poeple onl... (more »)

Chicagobullsfan2313 said...
i absolutely agree with this. All people are equal no matter what they believe or wht background they come  from. so, i believe that you should all just co-exist with all people and not discriminate on them because they are gay or a woman or a man, just get along and let all people live together in peace. I know that this will never happen, but i just don't undersatnd why people think that if you are or aren't a certain thing, then you are not an equal to them. IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!

PurpleFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
you make a really good point. the next time i have to refer to myself in terms of race, i am just gonna say im a person! bc thats what we all are, arent we? we are ppl, not black ppl or white ppl or red ppl or green ppl or purple ppl. we all just ppl. YOU GO ON GIRL!!!
unless ur a boy. whatev. props to you!

a-ron8499 said...
That is the truth, and i wish that everyone could think on that level as you did in your paper.

Chaos_Theory said...
Oct. 6, 2009 at 10:12 am:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Niall_M said...
I agree 100%. We shouldn't be classified since we're all different. I still don't understand why we are classified...

yelsse<3 said...
I definetly agree with you! But most people say black instead of african american because it's easier not because they're refering to a specific color

TheMadAFRICAN said...
Oct. 1, 2009 at 9:08 am:
Being called "black" is too universal to be proven right or wrong. In al reality anything anyone says is only as good or as bad as you make it to be. For instance, i am black and mexican and i have no issue being called "black". It's actually all in your perception bro.