White

By , Beaumont, TX
I'm white.
Am I racist?

I'm White.
Am I unimportant?

I'm White.
I'm last on the list.

I'm white.
Can I speak my mind?

I'm white.
How likely am I to get into college?

I'm white.
What did I do to deserve your hate?

I'm White.
I've never owned a slave plantation.

I'm White in the 21st century
Why do you accuse me of promoting slavery?

I'm white
I have a job.
Why don't you?

I'm white.
I deserve to be treated JUST AS GOOD AS YOU!

I'm white.
Why am I discriminated against?

I'm white.
AND PROUD OF IT!

ALenny said...
Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:35 am
I agree with your points, and frankly find it offensive that many of the comments posted here argue against you without actually understanding or listening to what you are saying. In this day and age, it can't be about Black or White, but rather, it must be about merit. Who has worked hard to earn their possition. I'm white. I grew up in a house without electricity. My dad ran out on us. I've been through bushfires, floods, landslides and seen death death death. Yet I've had to w... (more »)

shadoethehedgehog said...
The world needs to stop seeing in color, and see a person by how they act instead.

LadyWisdom98 said...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 9:26 am
I am also a black female and I found this article quite offensive, as well. Anyone who says minorities have it easier these days is probably the blindest, most closed-minded person in the world! To elaborate, I give you this: I'm Black. Why do I live in the dangerous world of New York City Public Housing while my Caucasian counterparts live downtown, in beautiful condos, high-rises, and brownstones? My mother is Black. Why does she only make $22,000 a year? Sean Bell was Black. Why was... (more »)

Colorblind replied...
  I believe you have missed the point. I would recommend reading the book "The Outsiders" The point he's trying to get across is that the world is rough all over. Discrimination is not limited to minorities. I'm blonde so I must be an idiot. I'm homeschooled so I am probably weird or naive. I'm gay so I must be the most masculine girl in town. I'm white so I must be a racist. But in actuality, I have a 130 IQ, I'm not in the least naive, I'm so femini... (more »)

LadyWisdom98 replied...
Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:35 am
OK, I see your point. And by the way, I already read The Outsiders. Twice.

swcricket98 said...
I think that all races have certain privileges. As a white female growing up in a predominately black town, I had to change, as you do everywhere, and adapt to the type of people I was around. In no way am I rascist, because I do believe that all people are equal, but I can see where the author is coming from. African Americans have their own scholarships whereas a white scholarship would cause outrage and be immediately rascist. I can also see where the slavery issue would come into play, but I... (more »)

swcricket98 replied...
I'd also like to add that there are poor white people too. Again with the stereotypes. I am reading through these comments and I predominately see angry African Americans talking about slavery and talking about how white people are treated better. This is not always the case, so you shouldn't act like you know everything. I don't know everything about where you grew up, you don't know everything about where I grew up. Every one is different.

easycheese303 said...

As a black female, I can honestly tell you that your quote bothers me. Quite a lot actually. 

Maybe they receive special treatment because historically they never had. You are white. You should be proud; however, black and hispanics haven't had that opportunity to be proud about their heritage until recently. Less than 70 years ago, blacks and hispanics were saying the same thing you are. Are you telling me that you have the same mindset of a person stuck in the 1960's? 

Nelu96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:15 am
An eye for an eye? I don't think so.

easycheese303 said...
I'm pretty sure CMT is the equivalent of BET...

sabine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sure, just because you're white, you're not evil. But let's not forget that just because you're colored, you're not given more privileges. I would say... there is such thing as white privilege! Accept it, it's true.

SunnyWinter said...
I am not trying to be rude but this article makes me slightly angry becuase i go to an extremely diverse school but the white students are treated the best and some people don't have jobs becuase they were raised thinking that they were inferior to white people and that they couldn't becuase of all the rasicmsm if anything it is truthfully the minorities that are discriminated against, becuase america was made for the white and were chanigning it but and your side comment what do you mean about ... (more »)

WrItEr2010 said...
Kudos!! Well said. 

kristina-marie said...
What happened to your ancestors did not happen to you. And you can't judge us based on what whites did over one hundred years ago. believe it or not there were many whites who died because they were trying to end slavery. And just like all the whites in America aren't from America like my family which is from France, not all blacks are from africa in the slave times. Can you trace your ancestors back to a ship in the 1800s? There is no proof. Its a proven fact that less than 40% of blacks in ame... (more »)

susu.ali said...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 11:45 am
FIRST OFF, ITS NOT WHAT YOU DID ITS WHAT YOUR GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS AND ANCESTORS DID. AND IF YOU LIVED IN THAT ERA YOU WOULD HAVE OWNED SLAVES TOO. SO DON'T LIE AND SAY YOU WOULDN'T. EVERYONE IN THAT TIME PERIOD DID: THOMAS JEFFERSON, GEORGE WASHINGTON ETC. AND SECOND DID YOU JUST HAPPEN TO  FORGET THAT 12 MILLION AFRICANS WERE TAKEN FROM THEIR HOMES FOR 300 YEARS AND FORCED INTO SLAVERY. YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE JUST HOW SEVERE, CRUEL, RACIST, IMMORAL SLAVERY WAS. IT HAPPENED AND ... (more »)

Of_The_Broken said...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 11:26 am
This is great and so true, why is it that we have to stand on heads to keep from being called racist. I find it funny that there is BET but if there was WET it would be called discriminative.

KrystalT replied...
I was thinking the same thing about 4 or 5 hours ago.

easycheese303 replied...

ChickenLegHouse replied...
Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:00 am
As far as I can tell you only get called racist if you act racist.

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Really refreshing article. Thought provoking and SO TRUE.