White

By , Beaumont, TX
I'm white.
Am I racist?

I'm White.
Am I unimportant?

I'm White.
I'm last on the list.

I'm white.
Can I speak my mind?

I'm white.
How likely am I to get into college?

I'm white.
What did I do to deserve your hate?

I'm White.
I've never owned a slave plantation.

I'm White in the 21st century
Why do you accuse me of promoting slavery?

I'm white
I have a job.
Why don't you?

I'm white.
I deserve to be treated JUST AS GOOD AS YOU!

I'm white.
Why am I discriminated against?

I'm white.
AND PROUD OF IT!

Amai-kunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 2:26 pm
Are you serious? You have a distinct advantage as a white person. Yes, you promote slavery by benefiting from its effects.

FateRunnerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 9 at 6:13 pm
I feel like other races have it worse. White people get so much more advantages, and I've noticed it myself as a white person.

PastelJustice said...
Mar. 17 at 2:49 pm
"I'm a White male. I am tired of seeing all of the people who are darker and more foreign than me getting aid to bring themselves up. I have a job, so everyone should have a job. I'm not racist, I just think that Blacks, Latinos, and Asians shouldn't have the same advantages I do. I do not understand how society benefits me form every angle and aspect, so my ignorance will show brightly in anything I say or right. I may not own slaves, but I sure do benefit from what my grandfathers and great gr... (more »)

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 22 at 6:37 pm
ughhh stop white people 2k15. "proud to be white" = "proud to be racist"

Mockingjay_54This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 10:08 pm
Your white. The system supports and is made for you, society/media sees your race as the most beautiful, you have never been made to feel inferior or ugly because of your skin or spit on because of your beliefs. Stop whining.

Thefanatasticagirlie101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2 at 6:29 pm
Can't we all just be friends. You are very likely to get into college. No one hates (not that I know of). You are very important to your family, friends, and community. You're not discriminated against. No one accuses you of promoting slavery. That isn't going on in the 21st century. You're are treated very well (I hope so). You may not have owned a plantation, ok. Your family may not have even had slaves. Why is that even a statement. Some people weren't raised in a very happy family, so they w... (more »)

Feb. 2 at 6:23 pm
We should all be treated equal. Sorry to rain on your very put together poem, but White people are treated better than black people. If minorities were treated equally we wouldn't be having articles and poems about racism and stereotypes. This is a very controversial issue that I don't want to get in the middle of.

ALenny said...
Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:35 am
I agree with your points, and frankly find it offensive that many of the comments posted here argue against you without actually understanding or listening to what you are saying. In this day and age, it can't be about Black or White, but rather, it must be about merit. Who has worked hard to earn their possition. I'm white. I grew up in a house without electricity. My dad ran out on us. I've been through bushfires, floods, landslides and seen death death death. Yet I've had to w... (more »)

shadoethehedgehog said...
The world needs to stop seeing in color, and see a person by how they act instead.

LadyWisdom98 said...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 9:26 am
I am also a black female and I found this article quite offensive, as well. Anyone who says minorities have it easier these days is probably the blindest, most closed-minded person in the world! To elaborate, I give you this: I'm Black. Why do I live in the dangerous world of New York City Public Housing while my Caucasian counterparts live downtown, in beautiful condos, high-rises, and brownstones? My mother is Black. Why does she only make $22,000 a year? Sean Bell was Black. Why was... (more »)

Colorblind replied...
  I believe you have missed the point. I would recommend reading the book "The Outsiders" The point he's trying to get across is that the world is rough all over. Discrimination is not limited to minorities. I'm blonde so I must be an idiot. I'm homeschooled so I am probably weird or naive. I'm gay so I must be the most masculine girl in town. I'm white so I must be a racist. But in actuality, I have a 130 IQ, I'm not in the least naive, I'm so femini... (more »)

LadyWisdom98 replied...
Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:35 am
OK, I see your point. And by the way, I already read The Outsiders. Twice.

swcricket98 said...
I think that all races have certain privileges. As a white female growing up in a predominately black town, I had to change, as you do everywhere, and adapt to the type of people I was around. In no way am I rascist, because I do believe that all people are equal, but I can see where the author is coming from. African Americans have their own scholarships whereas a white scholarship would cause outrage and be immediately rascist. I can also see where the slavery issue would come into play, but I... (more »)

swcricket98 replied...
I'd also like to add that there are poor white people too. Again with the stereotypes. I am reading through these comments and I predominately see angry African Americans talking about slavery and talking about how white people are treated better. This is not always the case, so you shouldn't act like you know everything. I don't know everything about where you grew up, you don't know everything about where I grew up. Every one is different.

easycheese303 said...

As a black female, I can honestly tell you that your quote bothers me. Quite a lot actually. 

Maybe they receive special treatment because historically they never had. You are white. You should be proud; however, black and hispanics haven't had that opportunity to be proud about their heritage until recently. Less than 70 years ago, blacks and hispanics were saying the same thing you are. Are you telling me that you have the same mindset of a person stuck in the 1960's? 

Nelu96 replied...
Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:15 am
An eye for an eye? I don't think so.

easycheese303 said...
I'm pretty sure CMT is the equivalent of BET...

sabine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sure, just because you're white, you're not evil. But let's not forget that just because you're colored, you're not given more privileges. I would say... there is such thing as white privilege! Accept it, it's true.

SunnyWinter said...
I am not trying to be rude but this article makes me slightly angry becuase i go to an extremely diverse school but the white students are treated the best and some people don't have jobs becuase they were raised thinking that they were inferior to white people and that they couldn't becuase of all the rasicmsm if anything it is truthfully the minorities that are discriminated against, becuase america was made for the white and were chanigning it but and your side comment what do you mean about ... (more »)

WrItEr2010 said...
Kudos!! Well said.