Dear Society, Does My Hair Hurt You? | Teen Ink

Dear Society, Does My Hair Hurt You?

March 15, 2024
By KatherineES BRONZE, Germantown, Maryland
KatherineES BRONZE, Germantown, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

     Why do people dye their hair? Is it for vanity? For attention? To fit in with their peers? Some people dye their hair because they see it as a fundamental need. Despite this, society still manages to criticize others based on their hair color. Blondes still face the “dumb blonde” stereotype, redheads are made fun of, and people with dyed hair face accusations of being unprofessional. Still, hair color is no basis for judgment, whether it is natural or unnatural.


     Firstly, hair color is personal and harmless to others. In the Liverpool Echo, a woman tells her story of getting denied a job due to her blue hair. She stated that her hair color does not affect her work ethic or talent. One could argue that people with certain colored hair tend to carry certain personality traits, but we need to understand that people will have the same values and skills, regardless of hair color.


     Next, we need to understand why people dye their hair in the first place. There is a misconception that people only dye their hair to look good or for attention. While this is true sometimes, other times people do it to raise their self-esteem and confidence. I went through a phase in my life when my hair naturally turned very dark. When I looked into the mirror, I didn’t feel like myself at all. Before entering 8th grade, I started getting my hair dyed blonde. It’s hard to believe that something like hair color had such an impact on my sense of self, but it did. Similarly, a former highschooler had this experience when she dyed her hair purple. Being shy, purple hair led her into the spotlight and boosted her confidence. So, no matter if one’s hair color is natural or unnatural, the positive impact is the same. 


     Some say a big issue is that dye looks unprofessional. While this is understood, there are many looks that are frowned upon by society that we deal with. Once we deny jobs to people with “unnatural” hair color, where do we draw the line? In the Daily Press, a woman was threatened at her job because she had clearly dyed hair. This wasn’t fair because other employees with chemical highlights were not getting the same treatment. Because they don’t make the same claims about people with hair dyed a “natural” color, this proves that people who complain about dyed hair are only concerned with vanity.


     All in all, we need to stop making rash judgments based on appearance. Just like anything else about someone’s appearance, hair color can be vital. Who are we to say what someone may or may not need from their hair?


The author's comments:

In English class we were tasked with writing an open letter, addressing an issue we care about. I chose the topic of hair dye because I have previously struggled with how my hair color impacted my self-esteem. I want people to understand why people dye their hair, so that there is less judgment around it.