Humor is a problem?

"What do you get with a Russian and a bottle of vodka"

"An empty bottle"

People are afraid of laughing at jokes that could be considered racist, this is utterly pointless as humor no matter how offense is still humor. It is only by joking about something that we prove we accept it. A society where a white man can say 'nigger' in a joke and people not get all PC (politically correct for those under a rock) is a truly tolerant society. I however am an Anglo-Saxon male meaning I am the world's punching bag, everyone has some gripe against me yet I am the only one who will get in trouble for making a racially tinged joke.

LaReSt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:26 am:
It's cool if you are good friends and really know this person, but if you don't, don't try it. No one wants to be insulted because of who they are. What some might see as a joke others could see as insult. Know the difference.

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 25, 2010 at 8:56 pm :
I agree. Well put. :)

PurpleFeather said...
yes, it is true, i am black and i do make black jokes with other blacks sometimes. even with my white friends.
BUT, if some comedian made a joke about anyone, whether blond, black, asian, hispanic, whatever,
i wouldn't think it was funny. u nvr kno how someone might react to any kind of joke. at my school ppl make racist jokes all the time and they r not doing to be funny, THEY R DOING IT TO BE RACIST.
this has nothing 2 do with humor; when ppl make jokes like that, t... (more »)

Fingers_Stained_by_Ink_and_Paint replied...
May 25, 2010 at 3:44 pm :

i know it may seem like people are just saying this sort of thing to be racist, but have you ever considered that they are genuinely convinced it is funny?

granted, some jokes about ethnicity (technically, race just means humans as a group, not ethnic divisions) do get offensive, but people take this so far!!

i mean, outlawing 'hate speech' jokes?!?!? the government could forbid practically anything you said!

there is such a thing as free speech. if you are offende... (more »)

PurpleFeather replied...
May 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm :

You bring up some great points, and it is true that we have free speech in this country. BUT, with this freedom comes responsibilities. If someone expresses a viewpoint, whether it is an offensive one or not, they should know that they will have to accept whatever consequences come after the statement.

And when someone says something truly offensize, PEOPLE GET ANGRY, and they are going to react. This is also a freedom of speech. So it's okay for someone to spout off whatever they want... (more »)

Ink_Stained_Fingers replied...
May 28, 2010 at 9:48 pm :

exactly! i never meant to say that people can't express anger against what others say - because that would be hypocritical - rather, i meant that everyone has the right to say what they want to, even if it happens to offend someone. and yes, the person who says something 'insulting' should be prepared for how others will respond.

Houda A. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The joke you have there is a joke that I would think even Russians would use. Certain societies make fun of people within their societies like Americans do with blondes. But you say "it is only joking about something that we prove we accept it." Some people don't accept it, and some jokes actually DO hurt or hit a spot on the inside. Personally, I feel Blonde jokes aren't as cruel as racist black jokes, because most racist black jokes are meant to vilify blacks. For example: ... (more »)

May 25, 2010 at 8:58 pm :
Yeah, I agree. And in the US, there is virtually no history of real tension or torment towards blondes, or at least not nearly as close as there is to African-Americans or Hispanics.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 26, 2010 at 4:32 pm :
Interesting point. I like this.