Humor is a problem?

"What do you get with a Russian and a bottle of vodka"

"An empty bottle"

People are afraid of laughing at jokes that could be considered racist, this is utterly pointless as humor no matter how offense is still humor. It is only by joking about something that we prove we accept it. A society where a white man can say 'nigger' in a joke and people not get all PC (politically correct for those under a rock) is a truly tolerant society. I however am an Anglo-Saxon male meaning I am the world's punching bag, everyone has some gripe against me yet I am the only one who will get in trouble for making a racially tinged joke.

MantizahThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Really? I'm Canadian, and I've never once been offended by a "racist" joke. In fact, I find jokes about Canadians hilarious. Finding someone who's offended by mild racist jokes like the one above would be a tough challenge indeed.

nikii7777777777 said...
people making fun of people for being blond is no dfferent

LaTutus13 said...
I think it goes like this: People make fun of other people as a joke and when the evironment or society accepts it, how are you going to stop racist jokes? When you have a crowd that thinks it's funny, and the other thinks it's offensive. People have their opinions, let them talk. What I do is ignore them. Because usually it is not worth my time getting angry about it.

Skapank54 said...
Grammer dosent make a peerson serious.

LOL_LORD replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 10:33 am :
I disagree, grammar is an important factor in taking someone seriously.

swcricket98 said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm:

Your efforts to make this a noteable topic are recognized, but there are many things that I disagree on in this article.

It is very difficult for me to take someone who is trying to make a point seriously while there are run-on sentences and grammatical errors.

To the point of your article. I agree with your  take on the easily offended people who can't, as people say, take a joke. However, racial jokes that are focused specifically on a certain group (such as the statement... (more »)

abnormal said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm:
I feel you are right to a certain degree.  Humor is just humor and should be taken as so, but there is a thin line between a joke and being rude.

swcricket98 replied...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm :
I agree with this statement.

Badd Asz said...
May 12, 2011 at 11:04 am:
Ikr ppl shouldnt be jugded by the color of their skin but the the peron in the skin they walk in

KatreenaMarie said...
raceshouldnt be a factor inany of this! the only true race is the human race, and tha is all it should come down to

bob 100 said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:56 am:
I don,t think its okay to make fun of black people

LOL_LORD replied...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:31 am :
I do.......................

xXMasochistaXx said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 1:16 am:
I know I am so with you.. I mean yeah my Mexican, Black, and Asian friends make jokes about other races, including white people.. and I am in this awkward situation where I cannot say anything.. So I just continue with jokes about white people because I am white... but if I said an Asian joke per say or a Mexican or a Black joke, I would definitely get cut off and called racist. But... isn't Caucasian a race too? Why do people have the right to make fun of us? Well I guess it is t... (more »)

PurpleFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm :

I understand where you're coming from, and it is a double-standard. But the reason why it is accepted is this: for centuries the Caucasians of this country have been holding tons of double standards and prejudices against blacks and anyone else who's not white. So I think everyone else lets us have that one double-standard of being able to make fun of white people (and not even in public).

Also, by the way, Caucasian (Caucasianism?) isn't a race. Neither is black. Nor Hispanic. Th... (more »)

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You could use this excuse to get away with teasing/bullying someone. Yes, sometimes people can be overly sensitive, but it's possible to cross the line. 'Being funny' can't always be used as an excuse. If someone tells you that racist/sexist/religionist (is that even a word?) jokes bother them, then you should stop, instead of continuing in the name of 'humor'.

princess6 said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm:
I get from where ur coming from but i'm Mexican so if someone said a nasty joke about Mexicans I would be the first to cut hem off because it is offensive to me and my people, but good writing

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 25, 2010 at 8:55 pm:
I guess I can see where you're coming from, especially with your personal experience as the butt of the joke, but I still have a problem with the whole race part of the joke... if the joke said "what do you get with a drunk and a bottle of vodka" (ok i know that's not as funny...) then I would be ok with it. But the whole racism thing is a touchy issue, and it's better not to aim criticism or even humor toward people who can't help being the butt of the joke!

frnkplss55 said...
Great writing!!! I feel for you. But as you said i live under a rock and so I'm just courious... what is an Anglo-Saxon?

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 11:52 am :
A white person.

LaReSt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 10:26 am:
It's cool if you are good friends and really know this person, but if you don't, don't try it. No one wants to be insulted because of who they are. What some might see as a joke others could see as insult. Know the difference.