The Consequences of Racism | Teen Ink

The Consequences of Racism

This world is far from being peaceful. Some people live good lives, others are not as fortunate. Those who live a good life are in a world free from discrimination, a world where life is fair. Others deal with problems such as discrimination, specifically, racism. Racism is just a way to discriminate and harass others based on their race. Something they have no control over, yet it continues to be a big issue. It happens everywhere, even places meant to be judgement free zones, such as school or work. It can happen at the store, or even as you walk down the street. It is everywhere.

Some people try to fight racism by standing up to a racist person, but it seems nothing has changed. It is hard to get rid of an idea that has been around for decades, the idea that there is a race that is superior to another. The idea that race defines a person. The fact that many people think this way makes it hard to fight racism. Maybe if people saw how bad the consequences of racism were, they would think differently. If they saw how much death and violence racism caused, maybe they would try to end it. Unfortunately, racism has claimed many innocent lives.

People of color deal with plenty of struggles. They walk down the street and feel scared that someone will assault them. They have seen it happen to others, they do not want to be the next victim. They fear that those who made an oath to protect and serve the people will be the reason for their demise. But are they wrong for feeling this way? Absolutely not. After all the race related crimes that have occurred, it is normal for them to be scared. The number of hate crimes has continued to rise over the years. And not much has been done to protect the people.

Another consequence of racism is how some opportunities are taken from decent people. Sometimes the people in charge of hiring people are racist. They show preference to a race, even if the other person is more qualified. They will hire based on preference, not ability. And now, the more skilled person does not have a job. They miss out on a good job because of their race. It is more common than it seems, and it is not fair.

Racism is everywhere. It can be seen through the lack of representation, preference shown to another race, death, and violence. It can happen in the smallest ways, like thinking that because of someone’s race they are not educated or well mannered, doubting their abilities. It can be someone being unfair to someone else because of their race or judging them because of their race without even giving them a chance to prove themselves. It can be thinking someone of another race is indifferent Anyone can be racist or a victim of racism. It has been an issue for far too long. It is time for a change.

I wrote this to show some ways that racism has impacted the lives of people.