To Clone Or Not To Clone | Teen Ink

To Clone Or Not To Clone

May 25, 2018
By abbeywright934 BRONZE, London, Ontario
abbeywright934 BRONZE, London, Ontario
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Human cloning should not be permitted for the progress of humanity. In an article written by Gina Kolata, of New York Times who studied molecular biology at MIT, stated that failure of human cloning far surpasses the rate of success. Clones would take the value of natural creation and many could be careless in their actions towards the clones as they would know that there would be another one. Thus, human cloning should definitely not be permitted if we desire a better life in the future.

The chance of achieving the ability to clone a human being is extremely slim. In the past, Dr. Tanja Dominko, a biomedical engineer who has numerous degrees and professional accomplishments, had hopes that she would be able to clone a monkey. After 3 years and approximately 300 attempts, she gave up. Dr. Dominko calls her cloning adventure a gallery of horrors. Also, many people look at Dolly the sheep as the evidence that cloning is possible but she was created after 277 attempts, therefore there is a 0.36% chance that cloning will be successful based on that case alone.

Secondly, imagine the hatred there would be in the world if clones were around. Not only would the amount of racism grow enormously but many religious followers would be against clones also, they believe that scientists are “playing god”. If you doubt the religious opposition to cloning just consider the reaction of many religious leaders when they announced Dolly the cloned sheep. In an article written by NBC News, it stated that this announcement sent religious leaders in search of answers in various scriptures while they publicly condemned the news regarding Dolly. Additionally, the quantity of racism will skyrocket if scientists accomplished human cloning. If people are racist toward others because of their race, culture, or religion, imagine the contempt towards clones.  I believe that there is already enough hatred in the world and we do not need to be creating more.

Finally, bringing clones to life would give your existence no meaning.  Knowing that there would be a duplicate of yourself in the future could be discouraging in your life. First of all, you won’t have any motivation or purpose in life. Knowing that there will be an identical person to you in the future steals your ambition, pride, inspiration and most importantly your purpose. This could lead to higher rates of suicide and law-breaking action. They believe that they are doing no harm because they know that there will be a similar clone to you in the forthcoming. These are very unfortunate possibilities, but we can prevent them by not allowing human clones.

Admittedly, a positive to human cloning is that it allows organ replacements, it could be a lifesaver. If the essential organs are cloned, it would serve as the backup if a body organ fails to function. However, by cloning organs it could cause defects to them. For example, a 2-month-old calf that was cloned and died after developing blood and heart problems. For that reason, cloning organs are not safe. I believe that organ cloning is too big of a risk and it is not worth the attempt because the organ could possibly be ineffective due to possible defects.

In conclusion, I believe that if human clones are permitted this would disrupt the progress of humanity. The odds that you will accomplish the feat of cloning are minimal and the devaluation of life significant.  What is the point of achieving amazing goals if there will be an identical human who will accomplish the same? If human clones come to life, the world would be marked by hatred. A new race could create more prejudice which breeds hostility within society. Intolerant people would be angered, along with religious followers and leaders who believe that the scientists are interfering with the work of a higher power. In the quest for progress, human cloning should be eliminated.