Keystone Pipeline Benefits Us All | Teen Ink

Keystone Pipeline Benefits Us All

By Jenfox SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Jenfox SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

After a decade of trying to get the federal and state regulators to agree on the Keystone Pipeline, it was finally passed told by an article by Pri. Running 1,179 miles from southern Alberta to the Gulf of Mexico, the pipeline will pass through six states and territories of many tribes. Many people were worried about main water sources to be polluted from an oil leak. And it did leak, in South Dakota about 210,000 gallons of oil was leaked into the soil said in an article by CNN, it wasn’t near water so no water source was polluted. But the pipeline can be considered good and bad, such as the jobs it will create but only some will be permanent. Most jobs for the pipeline will be temporary, and they will help a lot of people find work and get experience. Helping the U.S. economy is another reason for the Keystone Pipeline said by Vittana telling the pros and cons of the pipeline, gaining millions in dollars for property tax revenue paid by the project. If the pipeline stays they should find more ways to protect it for the land, and prevent another leak. Leaks of the oil won’t be small, they can detect a pressure drop and stop the oil flow but not till gallons of oil is in the soil. The pipeline being created will impact the United States and create new opportunities.

With many trying to find jobs the pipeline will help create as many as 42,000 but most would be considered temporary jobs said by TransCanada. About 35 permanent jobs would be created, that might not be great for everyone but for those who get the jobs they can finally start making income that they need. Protests even occured, the Keystone pipeline would run under the Missouri river which would threaten the clean water and ancient burial grounds of the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. After the huge protest in the area of the pipeline also known as the Dakota Access Pipeline, the mess left behind was a threat to environmental disaster. Leaving behind mountains of trash once they left the land they have lived on during the protest, a clean up crew hauled off 48 million pounds of garbage, costing $1.1 million to get it done. The environment with these pipelines are said to be safer, in pipes the oil is more likely to reach its destination at 99.99% of the time. In the pipes is one of the most dangerous fossil fluids known to us, and the is a fast and safer way to transfer them even if not everyone agrees. Now the economy can grow in new ways.

Many good things would come with the pipeline, it will increase tax revenue for local governments. It will create $585 million in new taxes for new communities along the pipeline route. More than $5.2 billion in property taxes during its lifetime will be made. A stable long-term supply is important to the nations energy security. Especially when global supplies are often found in unstable regions of the world and production of one reliable source is slowing. The United States economy will grow from the Keyline pipeline, it will create jobs and bring additional tax revenue. It will also generate additional private sector investment of around $20 million on food, lodging, and service. The location of the pipeline is a reason it needs to be protected, if leaks occur many are affected and pollution will spread.

Problems with the pipeline are leaks causing pollution, which has happened in South Dakota from the Keystone Pipeline. The leak was twice the amount expected making it the largest U.S. inland spill since 2010. After 15 minutes the leak was isolated after a drop in pressure was detected. According to the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources, this is the third oil spill in the state that year. Another came in April with about 84 gallons of crude oil leaked. Water resources can be harmed, people elay on the water and if it's affected they will need to find another source. The pipeline will run under water sources and it could leak and make the water unusable. Leaks that do occur will take time to clean up and cost a lot of money.

The total of cleaning an oil spill is about $12.5 billion depending on the location and how much was spilt. Workers for the pipeline could detect a drop in pressure so the stopped the oil flow in the pipe, but it still caused a lot of damage. If they can detect and stop the flow of the oil faster it could save millions in dollars. And clean up can take anywhere from months to years, this is what it takes to help the United States economy and cost us billions of dollars. Farm ground can also be affected, with the oil in the ground crops can be grown and many live off of the crops the grow.

If they want to keep the pipeline they will have to make sure they know when a leak is occurring and stop it fast. The Keystone pipeline can help the United States economy in so many ways, but it can also destroy the earth. Water sources can also be easily polluted which many people rely on those sources for everyday water uses. But the pipeline may seem worse but is making the economy better so we can live an easier life not even knowing. Everyone complains about the bad and never look at the good happening, and that affects people's view on many things.